Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop: C000021a (fatal system error)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 akayshabloom

akayshabloom

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

Dell 4600 series Windows XP

Turn on the computer get the start up screen then a BLUE SCREEN.

Blue Screen says:
Stop: C000021a (fatal system error)
Session Manager Initialization System process terminated unexpectidely with a status oxc000026c (0xc00000000 0xc00000000).
This system has been shut down.

I can't even get to Safe Mode. I tried to boot to last good configeration and doesn't change.

Need some ideas.... I have read the forums and it seems that it might be a virus or something, but having problems getting to somewhere I can start cleaning. I have all the disks that came with the computer.

Thanks...
Tina
akayshabloom
Tina

Don't Forget to Breathe...
It is the beginning of life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:02 PM

The error refers to the fact that the SMSS.EXE service was unable to load for some reason.
Since you're not able to boot to Windows you'll have to look to either a repair install or a wipe and reinstall of Windows.

For the repair install, read this first if you have IE7 installed: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964
Then use this procedure for the repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:06 PM

Generic info:

0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP canít run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

I would remove the hard drive (change the jumper, if necessary)...and connect it to a known good system with adequate malware safeguards...and run a thorough series of scans, using both a reliable, updated AV program and a couple of reliable malware programs (e.g., Spybot and SUPERAntiSpyware), as a start.

If able to proceed after that, I would run chkdsk /r on the drive from the 2d system.

I would then put the drive back in the original system and see what happens.

Louis

#4 akayshabloom

akayshabloom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:47 PM

Sadly I do not have access to a hard drive that I trust. It sounds like the easier way to test this.

In looking at the links provided by usama
I am unable to boot Windows - so I have printed out the links and I will be following them the best I can.

I will have to start the process after work .... if there are any furhter words of wisdom.... send them my way.

Hopefully good news will follow tomorrow.
akayshabloom
Tina

Don't Forget to Breathe...
It is the beginning of life.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:51 AM

It's most likely that the error is in the registry (although a corrupted file/malware could be to blame also).

Slaving the drive to another computer would solve 2 problems:
- it would let you to scan the drive for malware files
- it would let you attempt to recover your data

A USB enclosure is fairly inexpensive and they are very easy to use.
I use this tool at work (it's not an enclosure and leaves the drive exposed): http://www.cooldrives.com/saandidehadr1.html
It costs less than $30 US

Once that's done, it's then time to work on the drive.
You may have to access the Recovery Console ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ ) in order to remove IE7 if it is installed.

Edited by usasma, 28 December 2008 - 07:52 AM.
Durned computer is making spelling errors! :0)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users