Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery/repair disc not compatible with sp3

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mariska

mariska

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

Hi,hoping u can help me out here,after a recent malware attack my system has slowed and it takes me sometimes 4 attempts until i can connect to the net.
I'm 99% sure my computer is clean from viruses and malware but it has been damaged somehow.
Thats the background,the thing is when i try to use my recovery disc to repair the system it informs me that i have a newer version of windows and is unable to run this function,any idea what to do.
Originaly this comp was running sp1 and that is what is on the recovery disc,i have now sp3 on xp home

thanks in advance
regards Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:11 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

The difference in the Service Packs is probably what it's eluding to, but let's try something else first. Try running chkdsk, follow the instructions below please.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

In your case I would check both boxes. Let us know how this turns out.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mariska

mariska
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

what u mean ?its a medion computer thats about all i can tell u sorry.
regards chris

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:39 PM

The only "recovery CDs" which I find for Medion computers...are not supplied by Medion at all. They seem to either be torrent downloads or CDs generated by 3d-party vendors to deal with one specific problematical situation.

Louis

#6 mariska

mariska
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

o.k. thanks dc3 i did everything u instructed and the scan and repair ran well!it informed that disc is o.k.
Everything seems now o.k. as it connected to the net immediatly,Thanks very much for ur help
regards Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users