Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer failure deja vu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dodge Dart

Dodge Dart

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

I have two computers that have both recently been rendered useless by yours truly.

Computer 1: Gateway FX Gaming pc
Computer 2: HP slimline s3307

I first had the FX hooked up and worked fine for a few days. Turned it off. Went to turn back on and it just beeped (BIOS BEEP I believe is the term)

Then hooked up the HP, which worked for a few days, then after being turned off and then back on, only beeped too.

The FX has continuous, repeating short beeps while the HP has alternating high/low beeps. I cannot find which bios either has, but it seems to point to system board issue. (Power supplies both indicate normal function)

Since both PCs were used with all the same equipment (monitor, peripherals and power) I figure its the same issue, which I thought to be a power drain while turned off. I took out the CMOS battery on the HP and it did the same thing. I replaced the CMOS battery with a similar (2025 instead of 2032) and still just beeped.

Any ideas what might be going on? Or how I can fix the issue? Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks (and sorry for the long post)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

The FX has continuous, repeating short beeps while the HP has alternating high/low beeps. I cannot find which bios either has, but it seems to point to system board issue. (Power supplies both indicate normal function)

This just sounds like classic PSU problems. When you say "Power supplies both indicate normal function", how are you checking that? Are you getting normal voltage from your power outlet, are you pulling power through a UPS?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Dodge Dart

Dodge Dart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

By "normal function" I mean that both psu have green lights and seem to be running normally, which means I hear the fans and see the green led. The power is fed through a brand new power strip, plugged into a wall outlet (no UPS).

Could there be a reason for the PSU problems? Like something with the power strip or wall outlet?

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users