Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB bandwidth problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Timmy Toad

Timmy Toad

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hi all, a neighbour of mine has got a Web Cam for Christmas, he called me over to help him install it !.

The dammed thing doesnt work, he doesnt have enough Bandwidth on his USB ports. A little window comes up saying his USB ADSL Modem is taking up 79%, the Web cam needs 13% and it seems there is a 10% and 15% reserved for something else (79% + 10% + 15% adds up to more than 100% !!).

I have unplugged his Printer and Scanner from the 4 ports built into his motherboard, so only the |Modem and Camera are the only things plugged in but it still isnt enough.

So i am wondering, will it help IF i fit him a PCI 4 port USB hub ?,

and/or is there a way of reducing the bandwidth that is being used by the Modem !! ????

BTW, happy christmas, i hope you are all having as much beer as i am !!. LOL.

tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

Does his modem have the option of using a cat.5 cable to the LAN connection on the back of the computer? That would be the way to go
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Timmy Toad

Timmy Toad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:32 PM

thanks buddy for that logical suggestion, in answer to your question, "I dont know"

I shall have a look when i next go over to see him, i use a Cat5 cable in my house for my Virgin/NTL internet so i surely have a spare cable somewhere and i do know he has an Ethernet socket built into his computer so we may well get somewhere with that idea, thanks.

i know he has a sagem modem and i do have a feeling in my water, that it does have a cat5 socket,

tim

#4 Timmy Toad

Timmy Toad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:15 AM

he didnt have a cat5 socket in his modem, so i fitted the spare pci usb 4 port hub i had and it seems to work ok now.

thanks

tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users