Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FF Crash - Have tried everything.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:30 AM

I have loads of Firefox problems. I have been having the same problems for three months and I've been using Firefox for about three years and never had these problems. I have tried everything I can think of, I even had my computer reformatted due to some totally different problem, but the firefox problem still persists, even after updating to 3.0.5

1) Firefox never auto-updates even though I set it to. It gets through an update halfway and then stops and says it can't go on. I have had to update it manually probably for the past two versions.

2) MAIN PROBLEM: It continously crashes. I can't duplicate the problem so I never know when it is going to happen. When it crashes, I don't get a crash reporter or anything like that. The computer just freeezes and I can't move my mouse or do ctrl-alt-del or anything so I always have to manually restart by pressing the button on my computer. Any changes or anything like that aren't saved which is annoying. If I use firefox I have to restart about 2 or 3 times a day. And I'm posting this using IE.

I've completely uninstalled, reinstalled a billion times. I don't have any add ons. I disabled flash. Uninstalled silverlight. Made a new profile. Updated drivers if I think I need to. Did everything I can think of. I have antivirus/spyware protection and I've scanned with that and antimalware a billion times, they dont find anything on my computer so I'm ruling out infections.

Even if I leave firefox open and switch to IE, firefox sometimes still crashes my computer. When it firefox crashes, not once have I been able to close just firefox down, I have to press the big button on my computer to restart it always.

I have hardly any unnecessary software on my computer and like I said, I had exactly same problems before my computer was reformatted.

I have no idea what to do. Please help =[

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gstick

Gstick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:35 AM

What web page are you viewing when it crashes? Or is it just random? Try surfing normally in Safe Mode and see if it crashes:
Go to Start Menu>All Programs>[Find Firefox]>Right Click>Select "Safe Mode"

"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:49 AM

I know that you said that you created a new profile, but could you do this please.

Taken from here

If Firefox previously worked but suddenly doesn't start, it may be due to some corrupt data in your settings. Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox would not fix this problem because your settings are not removed on uninstall.

To test to see if this is the problem, use the Profile Managerto create a new profile. If the problem goes away, you can then move your bookmarks and other important settings into the new profile.

#4 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

A couple of possibilities spring to mind. One of the utilities used commonly (but more or less transparently) in web browsers is Javascript. Many pages use them and I suspect your system is not executing the scripts correctly (although I have no idea why). You could try visiting the Sun sites to see if there is a more recent version available. Or, perhaps try a web search looking for some known problems with Java and your browser. Perhaps to confirm this as a cause, try turning off all scripts. It makes browsing difficult but may point out what the problem is. I believe you can turn off automatic execution of scripts but prompt you for permission to execute. This would allow you to perhaps identify the culprit if it is a script.

#5 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

NB: I reinstalled Firefox last night, the only add-ons I have are: Java QuickStart, McAfee Site Advisor and just ordinary plugins that were problably installed automatically for IE as well.

I still don't understand why the crash reporter wont come up either.. even the windows crash box doesn't come up, its just a freeze where I cant move anything, so have to restart by pressing the button on computer.

I also don't get why I still have the crash problem after reformatting computer. I have way less software installed than before.

What web page are you viewing when it crashes? Or is it just random? Try surfing normally in Safe Mode and see if it crashes:
Go to Start Menu>All Programs>[Find Firefox]>Right Click>Select "Safe Mode"

I tried this, it still crashes. Like I said before, I never know what sites it will crash on. It crashed just a second ago with 4 tabs open, so I memorised them as wlell as how I got to each site, I had to reboot, loaded firefox again, repeated what I did before and it didnt crash, so I have no idea what this problem is.

I know that you said that you created a new profile, but could you do this please.

Taken from here

If Firefox previously worked but suddenly doesn't start, it may be due to some corrupt data in your settings. Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox would not fix this problem because your settings are not removed on uninstall.

To test to see if this is the problem, use the Profile Managerto create a new profile. If the problem goes away, you can then move your bookmarks and other important settings into the new profile.

This did not work either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users