Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

copy OS to larger HD in vista ultimate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fixitdave

fixitdave

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:18 AM

i bought oem ver. of vista ultimate and have it in a 160gig hd.i bought a 640gig and want to know if i can copy intire hd to new hd.(i need the 160gig for other computer with xp on it.)
i would like to copy it without creating a partition on the new hd.
i tried to do this before when i was using xp and it created a seperate partition.
is their a program that will copy os to the new hd and leave it as one partition???

any help would be appreciated!!!

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:45 PM

<<is their a program that will copy os to the new hd and leave it as one partition???>>

Yes, there are...but, IMO, you really don't want your operating system and program files on a 640GB or so sized partition. Makes it awfully unwieldy to run chkdsk or defrag...and it places all of your files on one partition on one drive.

What will you do when that partition develops troubles and you cannot boot...and you haven't backed up (because you don't even have a partition to back up to)?

If I wanted to do something like you suggest, I would just use Partition Magic 8.0 to clone my current C: to the new drive. I would have the option of making the partition any size I wanted, using PM 8.0.

There are other programs that provide the same capability, some are free, some cost.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=p...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

#3 fixitdave

fixitdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

You know..............You are right...............that was pure brain lock :thumbsup: I would have eventually put a partition in anyway..
I thank you for the nice wake up call.......................Thanks again :huh: :huh: B) :) B) :)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:44 AM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users