Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive not listed as system drive in windows drive manager

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cantkillanidea

cantkillanidea

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:14 AM

I recently got a new hard drive. The first thing I did was create a new partition. After that, I copied the contents of my C drive to the new partition using HDCopy. Next, I changed the letter of my C drive(changed it to Z) and changed the letter of my new partition to C. Now it looks like everything works, but I do have one question. When I go to windows computer management, it still says my drive that used to be C is my system drive and my NEW C drive is Page File. Here's a screen shot to help:
http://i42.tinypic.com/1zxbg9e.jpg

I'm wondering if this is problematic and if there's any way to make my C drive listed as the system drive

Thanks,
Austin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:42 AM

Your pc is still booting to the Z drive it seems. You might want to try just backing up your stuff and doing a format so that the new drive does not contain your system root.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:43 AM

You can correct this :thumbsup:, probably by several methods.

A repair install with only the one drive attached will change the letter assignment for the new C: drive, but there is something else that we can try first.

Looking at Disk Management, it appears that you still have the old boot drive as the primary...since it's reflected as Disk 0.

First, you must only connect the drive which you want to boot from...and your optical drive. Just temporarily forget about (and disconnect) the old drive. Make sure that the drive you want to boot from is connected to the end connector.

Then, you can try following the directions in Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

Not sure if this ploy will work, but it's worth a try.

Another technique that I'm pretty sure will work and doesn't take as long as a repair install: How to rebuild the Windows boot.ini Using Bootcfg - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm Again, only the two drives mentioned above (new C: and optical drive) should be attached when doing this.

After either attempted solution, reboot the system and see if all is well...before attaching properly any other drives.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 December 2008 - 10:46 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

If there's a bootable drive in the mix, the System BIOS will attempt to boot from it according to it's inbuilt rules (Usually, Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master, Secondary Slave on an IDE only system). Once it locates such a drive, it attempts to boot it.

The solutions are to either make sure that the drive you want to boot from is the Primary Master (recommended), or destroy the boot sector on the other drive (not recommended).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users