I'm experiencing several issues that are confounding me and I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable folks can assist me...
1. Search engine redirects (Yahoo & Google)... when I process a search and click on one of the search result links, the search engine is opening a new tab and sending me to an unrelated site... seems to be mostly advertising. I've verified the same yahoo and google searchs on a known clean machine and I'm not experiencing these redirects on the clean machine.
2. Key site and site links in a google search come up page not found... appears to relate to known security sites (e.g., Eset.com, Malwarebytes.org, etc...) Some sort of Malware appears to be preventing me from accessing these sites. Links verified as okay on a clean machine.
3. When I attempt to run existing installed spyware removal tools, the programs will not start: When certain security program is selected (e.g., Malwarebytes) from the programs menu, the hourglass appears and after a few seconds the hourglass just reverts back to the hand or arrow icon and nothing else happens. The selected program does not start.
4. When anti-virus / spyware removal programs do start, they will not function as the malware appears to be preventing their integrated "LiveUpdate" process from accessing the internet. Many antivirus tools (e.g., Norton Antivirus) , on installation, want to do an update of virus signatures at installation... The malware (or whatever it is) appears to prevent internet access to the update function and the program cannot complete it's anti-virus function from that point on.. the programs generally terminate with an error related to internet connection... Yet I can go out to Google immediately and browse other pages at will... No ports are being blocked at the router level or anything like that... Another, clean machine, has free access to the web...
5. Symptoms appear in XP safe mode as well... running windows xp pro.
I know all of this sounds really comprehensive and I certainly wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced it, but all of the above symptoms are accurate. I've already downloaded hijackthis and combofix to a usb drive and I'm ready to go with those tools when/if necessary. Have many years pc experience and some technical understanding.. + used hijackthis in the past, so no need for the abc's if you're so inclined...
Again.. appreciate any assistance!!
Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 December 2008 - 01:07 AM.
Move from HiJack This forum to Am I Infected as there are no logs. ~ OB