Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop with XP install would not boot even in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 masaro

masaro

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

Hi,

I apologize if this should be posted in a different section....since I am baffled with this and do not even know where to start even though I would consider myself with somewhat fundamentally adequate knowledge with computers...

I have a Sony Vaio laptop VGN-N130G I bought over 2 years ago. I used this generally for a portable station for my music software (serato) and I do not store files on the laptop, rather I have a external HD that I connect to the laptop to run the music software. I used the music software for one of my jobs as a DJ.

One day when I went to use my laptop to access my music software, the boot up screen kept on going in loops--it would go from initial boot up to loading windows then for a split second a blue screen would come up then it goes right back to the initial boot up.

I thought to go F8 into the boot menu to load windows in safe mode to see what is going on, but even that attempt was not working: even if I choosed to load in safe mode, after lines of script scrolled by and before it actually load into windows, it goes back into the initial boot then obviously to the menu saying "windows was not successfully loaded previously" with the safe mode options....

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!!!

Happy Holidays

masaro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:10 PM

Unplug all external devices and see if that makes any difference at all
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 masaro

masaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

garmanma: Thanx for the reply. I don't having anything plugged in during this whole time.

#4 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:17 AM

Masaro

I don't know if I can help you or not but I can give you some things to try:

1. I presume that you have an emergency boot disk - if you don't you should. Anyway see if it will boot from that disk.

2. From the symptoms you explain, you could have a hammered (i.e. broken or corrupt) Master Boot Record, or Partition Table or Boot Sector or NTLDR. If you can get it to come up with the emergency boot disk, look up the docs on "FIXMBR" and see if that will restore you.

3. Hop on the net and download the ISO file for really small linux or actually any version of "LIVE" linux. Then write that to CD which will be bootable. Linux runs quite an extensive set of diagnostics during the LIVE BOOT because it thinks you will want to install it. Actually what we are doing during this step is to make sure that your disk controller passes the diagnostics and a short check on the hard disk itself to see if it is able to be partitioned and a couple other IDE tests. Since this happens in text mode and will display on your screen IF AND WHEN it quits will be immediately known.

If it is a bad disk then it is time to replace it. The sony is very easy. Just remember to watch out for the static and make sure you have something to make sure the keyboard stays up on its back ... there is a little slot but I found it quite useless. It should take you about 15-20 minutes to replace the disk.

4. If you have a program called SPOTMAU try running its diagnostics, I found it to work pretty well on the VAIO. Mose of the VAIO boxes
I've dealt with have Hitachi/IBM drives in them ... but to be sure look at the label. Then go to the SPOTMAU internet site and download the diagnostic for your model of hard disk. This is free.

By the way, you can download a complete tech/user manual for the VAIO from the sony or hitachi site. I just retrieved one a couple of weeks ago for a friend.

I hope this helps or at least gets you going in the right direction.

Best of luck and Hapy New Year
regards _ed_

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:22 AM

When you get to the Safe Mode screen (by pressing F8) there will be a choice to Disable automatic restart.
Choose that, then attempt to boot - the result should be that the blue screen stays where you can see it.
Here's a link that explains what info we'll need from the blue screen: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 masaro

masaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

Thank you for all the quick reply folks....

usasma: Thanx for showing me how to diabled the auto reboot. Below are the info from BSOD

Recommended User Action:

Disabl or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive cinfirguration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drvie corruption, and then restart your computer.

Stop Error Message:

Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x86EEF828, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

Thanks and happy holidays.

masaro

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:17 AM

This is an error with the NTFS file system on your hard drive. The first step is to enter the Recovery Console ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ ) and type these 3 commands:

FIXMBR

FIXBOOT

CHKDSK /R

Press Enter after each one and answer Y (for Yes) when it asks you if you're sure.

If it still doesn't boot, then I'd suggest running a bootable diagnostic utility available from the manufacturer of your hard drive. You'll find the more common one's listed in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 masaro

masaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:51 PM

usasma: Thanx for the help. I think overall the solution seems to work.....despite the fact that during "chkdsk" process (probably around 75%) command my laptop ran outta juice since I forgot to plug it in. Hope that won't affect this fix.

When I finally was able to boot into windows, I got this error windows saying "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" encountered a problem. That was the same message I got the last time I was able to boot into windows before this whole problem. Is that something I need to take note of? Something else I need to fix? Please advise.

Thank you and happy holidays!

regards,

masaro

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:55 PM

You'll have to run CHKDSK /R again - with the computer plugged in this time. If you still get the same error, then we'll have to check some other stuff. Try booting to both normal mode and Safe Mode.

#10 masaro

masaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:56 PM

How do I get back into the screen where I can input the chkdsk command? Since even if I have the cd in the laptop before boot up, it still would just go auto into windows instead of asking me if I want to boot from CD.....?

masaro

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:52 AM

You can run chkdsk /r or the equivalent...from within XP.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r, with a space between the k and /. Hit Enter.

Screen appears telling you that chkdsk cannot run because files are open...asks if you want chkdsk to run on next boot. Type y, hit Enter...reboot.

Allow chkdsk to run to completion, system will reboot when it is done.

Just reference info: How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265 Basic info is accurate, but I suggest using directions I gave :thumbsup:, it's simpler.

Louis

#12 masaro

masaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

I did that and now the laptop runs fine.....thank you for all your help!!!

Happy Holidays.

masaro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users