Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My icons have changed!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kldeal

kldeal

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

All of my Microsoft program icons have changed to generic ones. I no longer see the Word, Excel, Outlook, etc icons. they have all changed to white icons. Even the icons I assigned to DOS programs have changed.
The icons are even changed when I look at a list of files in Windows Explorer.
The program associations are still active. When I double click on an Excel file it still opens Excel just like it should.

Icons for My Computer, Recycle Bin, My Computer, My Network Places, etc are all correct.
Icons for other programs - Google Earth, Street Atlas, etc are still correct.

I have scanned for viruses, malware, trojan, etc using Spybot, PC Tools Spyware Dr, Super Antispyware and malwarebytes Antimalware. Everything is clean.

This is just a cosmetic thing, but is very annoying - Please help.
Kldeal
Sorry forgot to mention - using XP Pro

Edited by kldeal, 26 December 2008 - 09:24 PM.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend upon the support of Paul" - George Bernard Shaw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:14 AM

Try to reinstall microsoft office.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 kldeal

kldeal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:11 PM

Try to reinstall microsoft office.

gainseabrook - Thanks for the suggestion.

I was saving this as a last resort since I'm using a corporate laptop and did not want to be without it for approx 10 days while the MIS department re-installs Windows XP.

It did give me the idea to try the Control Panel - Add/Remove program though. Under Windows XP Pro, I selected the Change button, then selected Detect & Repair Installation.

It took 5 minutes and did not require any program CD's. All of my Microsoft icons have returned. I fixed a couple of other non-Microsoft program icons the same way.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
This posting can now be CLOSED!
kldeal
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend upon the support of Paul" - George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users