Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade or New System?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DarrylCady

DarrylCady

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

I am running a Gateway 2000, 500 Mhz, 384 MB machine purchased in early 2000. I have upgraded the hard drive to 120 GB and still have the old 20 GB for backup of my data. I have also upgraded the CD Rom to CD/RW, which works great. The system runs pretty well, but slows down from time to time and freezes. I am running WinXP SP3 and using AVG for anti-virus. Should I invest in a new motherboard and processor or just bite the bullet and get a new system? If I keep this system is it a good ideal to purchase a 2.0 USB card. I am using the 1.0 USB built into the existing mother board from Gateway, with 2 USB hubs. I use Firefox and Thunderbird. My wife uses AOL, and there is most of the problem. I mean AOL, not my wife.

Thanks.

Darryl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

AOL is probably the biggest reason for the hangups. Only you, can tell you how to spend your money. If you're talking about a new motherboard and CPU, you might as well go ahead and build a new one. Bear in mind you'll have to buy an OS, you can't just swap hard drives, so you might think Vista.
As far as USB add-on cards, they're fairly cheap
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815124008
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users