Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting high DPC's after new hardware installed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kabledesigns

kabledesigns

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hi everyone,

After adding some new hardware devices which I intended to speed up my computer, it is running with some hang ups.

I believe it is a result of DPC's according to process explorer.

Dell Dimension 2400 Celeron 2.4 GHZ Windows XP Home SP3 2GB Ram

I upgraded from 1 GB of ram to 2GB of ram in pairs.

I added a Western Digital 750GB 2.0 External USB drive.

I added an LG 22x Internal DVD Super Multi Rewriter.

When I tried to burn a DVD I noticed high DPC's. But the data was coming from the external drive so I suppose it could have been either.

To install the DVD drive I unplugged my old CD burner which came with the computer and plugged in the new DVD drive. I set the master/slave switch to the same setting as the previous CD drive had been on. I'm assuming it was master because the old CD drive was my primary one.

I did not have drivers for either of these devices, XP recognized them and installed. I also pulled out and reseated the memory and cables for the drives to make sure that was not the problem.

Also have the following under disk drives in Device Manager:

HP photosmart 7600 USB Device
Location 0
(Standard disk drives)

Driver verison 5.1.2535.0

Don't know why this is listed as a USB device under disk drives. It's a printer that has connections for memory cards etc, but I never use it as a drive and when I click it in exploer it always says insert a disk.

It's annoying me a bit as it tries to map itself as Drive E: which I want what I want the Western Drive to be mapped as.

I have been uninstalling it and then remapping the Western to fix the problem in the mean time.

I have run several virus scans and posted HJT logs so the problem is not malware. I am leaning more towards the WD drive causing the problem as the DVD drive is rarely in use. I started the computer without the Western attached but it still is not running 100%. Upon plugging the Western in the DPC's spiked to about 50% before settling down when idle. When I extract a ZIP onto the Western drive DPC's spike from 16-25.

I installed RATT but have no idea how to interpret results or narrow down the correct results. How can I narrow down which device is causing the problem?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by kabledesigns, 26 December 2008 - 08:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

Perhaps it's just me and not having had my second cup of coffee, but I don't understand what your question is. Is it the slow transfer of data from the external hdd that you have a problems with?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

DPC...are you referring to Deferred Procedure Calls, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_Procedure_Call ?

Louis

#4 kabledesigns

kabledesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

Yes, thats what I'm referring to. They are eating up a lot of resources in process explorer.

My main issue is that my computer is running slow. Some programs are skipping around and taking abnormally long to open since I installed these devices.

Just today there was some error on the Western drive and some files were unreadable, going to run a disk check on reboot.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

If you suspect hard drive problems, there are at least 4 things you can do:

a. Run chkdsk /r from the command prompt or Recovery Console on your C: partition.

b. Download/run a manufacturer's diagnostic program on the hard drive.

c. Defrag your drives to keep files in optimum order.

d. Check Event Viewer for any errors relating to drives.

IMO, adding devices doesn't slow a system down unless said devices are being used to conduct transactions while doing anything else. Burning and other computer activities don't mix to me, unless you have a dual-core (or better) system.

<<Some programs are skipping around and taking abnormally long to open...>>

More specific, please. How does a program "skip around" and what's an abnormally long time to open? What specific programs are involved when you see this phenomenon?

Louis

#6 kabledesigns

kabledesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I ran Western Digital's Diagnostic software on the external drive. I ran a quick test and extended test (which took 12 hours or so). Both checks came up okay.

When transferring a file from the external drive (E:) to the local drive (C:) I am getting DPC's processor usage ranging from 15-25% in process explorer.

I do not see any errors related to drives in event viewer.

Also, the skipping I was referring to was mainly in media files. When I open a live concert that I downloaded the player takes unusually long to load and the file will sometimes skip a bit if I try to open another program. This usually will not happen.

I would rather try and fix this problem without reformatting as I have already moved a lot of data onto the external drive.

Anytime I use the external drive I am getting high resource usage from DPC's and am wondering what could be causing this.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:43 PM

IMO...based on my experience and understanding...there is little point in concerning oneself with Task Manager CPU usage unless it is either pronouncedly consistent (occurs without any prolonged known process or program open) or system idle reaches less than 50% (with no apparent explanation for such).

Running processes and programs...are known explanations, in my world.

I've never seen any unknown processes running in the last 10 years (unknown meaning that I am unable to trace the process to a given function/program that is free to run), since just about any listed can easily be looked up on the Web to determine what they are.

Some people like to fret unnecessarily over the fact that there may be multiple entries for svchost.exe...but that's perfectly normal (that there are multiple entries, not that some worry about such).

But...that's just the way I approach these things.

You use phrases like "unusually long" and "high DPCs" as if these are things that are statistically verifiable by someone else.

For me, it's common for media files to take some time to open...especially when you are trying to use the same program to open two different objects.

It's common for a system without a wealth of memory...to be taxed when trying to deal with multiple taskings when it's a single-core machine with less-than-great horsepower. Celeron processors fall into this category, in my book, in 2009.

Maybe there's something there I would adjudge to be worth more effort on your part...but I really don't see it.

Louis

Edit: The one thing that you can do to try to improve system performance...is to run chkdks /r (first), then defrag the drives/partitions that you are using.

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2008 - 02:45 PM.

#8 kabledesigns

kabledesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

Well the reason I posted about the DPC's was because my performance has declined significantly since the install and I was trying to find something objective other than my own subjective intuition that my computer is running slow.

I have disabled the external drive and my computer certainly runs better but these delays are still present in opening programs. The important part is that before I added the hardware, the computer ran fine and I did not have these performance issues, so there must be something related to the hardware that has caused these problems.

I am planning on running the checkdisk tonight but considering I have the drive disabled and the diagnostics checked out okay I am a bit perplexed as I am still experiencing some performance issues.

What can I do to check that these drives have been properly installed or are properly being read?

#9 hometech

hometech

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

just a thought but perhaps you`re barking up the wrong tree, i would try yanking the new ram and putting the old back

#10 kabledesigns

kabledesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:54 AM

Alright, I have run chkdsk /r and defragmented the external drive. I did notice an improvement but it does not seem to be the issue. I have unplugged the external drive, disabled the dvd burner, and put the ram back in but I still am having performance issues. Is there any way to run hardware diagnostics on the computer?

If I try to switch over to aim and double click a screen name to IM it takes way too long with only a couple programs running. Something is up here and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about diagnosing it.

The following has been happening on and off:

After a restart, windows starts very slow. When I open windows explorer and click My Computer, I get the magnifying glass searching for about 2-3 minutes before it finally loads the drives. During this time the computer runs very slow. The problem seems to come and go every now and then and I'm not sure how to fix it but suspect it is related to the rest of the problems I'm having.

I checked eventvwr and these were the few things that came up around the time of the startup:

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( Bonjour Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: mDNSResponder started
-----------------------------------------

IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

The server {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service hung on starting.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thanks for your replies.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

Clean install ought to take care of whatever it is that you perceive to be a nuisance.

If not, it's hardware...too many possible candidates to guess.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users