Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio and video skips - from hard drive and disks

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 blplayer22

blplayer22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:06 PM

Hey everyone,

Hopefully one of you can help me with a problem that I've been having with my computer. I recently built my own computer (about a month ago) and everything was working wonderfully until about three days ago. Three days ago I installed a 320gb WD internal hard drive and 2 fans that were given to me by a friend from his old computer and also a wireless networking card from my old desktop. Each of these parts works except for the networking card, which is not compatible with Vista (I run 32-bit Vista Ultimate). The fact that this card doesn't work is not my problem, I am just including it in case it may be relavent to my problem.

Anyways, after installing all of these new things I noticed that when playing audio and video my computer now skips every minute or two. It will take a chunk of audio (about 1/4 of a second's worth) and repeat it about 8 or 9 times, making a "skip" that lasts about 2 seconds. The audio then returns to normal. During this time - if I am watching a movie - the video pauses for the duration of the "skip" and then after the audio skip ends the video remains choppy for two or three seconds afterwards. Then everything returns to normal for about a minute or two.

At first I thought it could have been an issue with the new hard drive I installed, but even playing a DVD in my computer's DVD drive created the same problem. I then even uninstalled the hard drive and tried to play music, which ended up skipping too.

I have absolutely no clue what could be causing this. It seems to have nothing to do with the new hard drive, yet it has never done this before. It is not an issue of my computer being pushed too hard. I have 4gb of RAM and a Duo 2 Core 3.0ghz Wolfdale processor.

In fact, while I have been typing this I have realized that every minute or two my computer will stop entering text when I type for about a second. For example, I will be typing the word "Wolfdale" and it came up as "Wolfde." The "al" just disappeared, even though I knew that I typed them.

Now it seems to be an issue with my computer as a whole. Does anyone know what could be causing my computer to seemingly stop working for a second or two every couple of minutes? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I am clueless. Thanks,

Luke

Edit: upon looking at the problem closer, these "skips" seem to affect the entire system and every program that is running. Help, please! This computer is only a month old and shouldn't be doing this!

Edited by blplayer22, 26 December 2008 - 11:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users