Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 maskedroo

maskedroo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

hi everyone

i am new to this, spent 3 hours going from forum to forum, my computer is very slow,i run norton premier edition and no virus detected , i tried to start in safe mode to run a scan but the sreen freeze and i cannot do it, could please anyone help .
thank you
michel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 maskedroo

maskedroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:52 AM

thanks heaps mark
did all,here is the report
is it bad ? look like latin to me :-)
thanks again for taking the time
michel

warebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1554
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

12/27/2008 6:47:43 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-27 (18-47-43).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 55799
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 47 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{4d1c4e81-a32a-416b-bcdb-33b3ef3617d3} (Adware.Need2Find) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\acrsecB.fon (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\acrsecI.fon (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\RECYCLER\ADAPT_Installer.exe (Heuristics.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
here is the report

Edited by maskedroo, 27 December 2008 - 04:57 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:07 AM

Now rescan again with MBAM but this time perform a Full Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to check for updates before scanning and to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 maskedroo

maskedroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:09 PM

hi there
done all that , here is the report
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1556
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

12/28/2008 8:59:45 AM
mbam-log-2008-12-28 (08-59-44).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|F:\|)
Objects scanned: 189666
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 42 minute(s), 41 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
cheers

michel

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

I did find a couple of trojans, but you're clear now. How is it running?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 maskedroo

maskedroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:28 AM

trojan ???
i downloaded spybot and win clean , recommended in your forum , try to clean my start up but it is very complicated , when i copy and paste the name of file your data base tell me not found,i have got lots and lots of program running on start up

#8 Jat90

Jat90

• Members
  • 1,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:28 AM

trojan ???
i downloaded spybot and win clean , recommended in your forum , try to clean my start up but it is very complicated , when i copy and paste the name of file your data base tell me not found,i have got lots and lots of program running on start up

Sorry to stick my nose in here but I have had the same problem as you in the past.

There is a program from Malwarebytes called StartUpLite which shows you unnecessary applications starting up, it is safe to disable them using this program. Simply place a checkbox next to "disable" and hit continue. I recommend you try it.

You should find your pc will be running much faster on startup and in general (depending on how many programs you have starting up)

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:
- Jat90 -

If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, then please feel free to send me a message.

Posted Image

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

You can use MSConfig to check for suspicious or unnecessary applications loading at startup when Windows boots. If you are unsure what any of the program entries are or if they are safe to disable, search the name using Google or the following databases:
BC's Startup Programs Database
SystemLookup StartupList Index
File Research Center
ProcessLibrary.com
ThreatExpert Malware Search

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, Properties and examine the General and Version tabs.

You can download and use AnVir TaskManager Free, System Explorer or Autoruns to investigate all startups (including other running processes) and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

Anytime you come across a suspicious file which you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.

#10 maskedroo

maskedroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:48 PM

hi
i run anti virus manager , as you said and got Key: Iomega Activity Disk2 File: system32
Value: ""
with security of 48 % no description or info if i google it it seem to be hijack ????it is listed as service
and in process i got Key: Iomega App Services
does it make any sense ?
cheers
michel

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:20 PM

Can you post a screenshot?

To create a screenshot, follow these steps.

Also see "How to make a screen shot in Windows" and "How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot".

Edited by quietman7, 30 December 2008 - 12:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users