Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optical mouse freezes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

Windows XP SP3

I have an optical PS2 mouse, and it is listed properly in the device manager. The other day it started freezing up while in use. Rebooting will start it working again for a while; maybe for the rest of the day, or maybe only a few minutes. When it freezes, the LED in the mouse is still lit, and when lifted off the pad, it flickers like it's searching... all normal.

Here are the only clues I have so far:
The first time it happened was after my son borrowed my standard keyboard and temporarily replaced it with his USB keyboard. As soon as he plugged it in, the mouse locked up. After re-boot it worked fine. Later we plugged my standard keyboard back in and the mouse continued to work fine.
A day later I was logging onto a website forum that I frequently visit and while I was logging in, a message from my NIS 2009 asked me if I wanted to use an Identity Safe password (new to NIS '09), and I clicked "Dont Ask Again" and then declined. As soon as I canceled, the mouse was frozen.

I doubt if the keyboard or NIS is related, but I wanted to cover all the bases while asking about it. I am hoping it's just the mouse failing, so when I finish this post I will plug in an old ball mouse to see how long it works. But if anyone has other ideas, I would welcome your input.
Thanks,
Rusty

EDIT: Plugged in an old PS2 ball clunker and it works fine. I will post again if it fails... which I bet it will.

Edited by RknRusty, 26 December 2008 - 04:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users