Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesn't respond to outlet power

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ajk1000

ajk1000

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

ok so my computer's screen stays black, but the on button lights up and i can hear the windows welcome noise, so i know its on. i think i know why this is happening, because i recently messed with the power settings and changed the option to go to standby when the laptop is not running on outlet power. so i realized that i need to just plug it in, but now it doesn't respond to the outlet power. usually a little lightning bolt lights up on the comp when it's plugged in, but not anymore. can someone please help on why this is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ajk1000

ajk1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

help!

#3 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:06 PM

Try taking the battery out of the computer, then reseat it.
Also if you can have someone verify the AC transformer is putting out voltage.
I am not much on laptops at all.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

Get a multimeter and see if the AC Adapter is putting out the correct voltage (it'll be written on the AC Adapter)
Check the place where the plug plugs into the laptop - does it feel loose if you gently wiggle it?
When you wiggle it, does the charging light come on at all (even a flicker)?

The most common problems here are a broken AC Adapter or a broken plug inside the laptop. A new AC Adapter costs about the same as a new battery - but it may be better to let a PC shop take a look at it for you. Some PC shops can repair a broken socket of this type right in the store, while others may have to send it out for repair. Most major manufacturer's service centers won't fix it - they'll just replace the part. In the case of this socket on most laptops - this means replacing the motherboard. And that's very expensive unless it's under a warranty of some sort.

Edited by usasma, 26 December 2008 - 07:30 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ajk1000

ajk1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

k well the problem now isn't that my comp won't respond to the outlet power, now it's just that the screen never turns on even though everything else is on. i took out the battery and plugged it in and it worked just fine, but the screen just stayed black.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:17 PM

Looking at the screen from an extreme angle can you see a faint screen image? The backlight and/or the inverter is bad
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:33 AM

Another thing to try is to connect the laptop to an external monitor. Usually there's a plug on the side/back of the laptop that will allow you to plug in a standard monitor. Once it's plugged in, you may have to press the "Fn" button along with one of the "F" function keys along the top of the keyboard (on most systems it's got a picture of a monitor or two on the key).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users