Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anyone use TOR....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

Tor is a software project that helps you defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security. Tor protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, and it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location. Tor works with many of your existing applications, including web browsers, instant messaging clients, remote login, and other applications based on the TCP protocol.

http://www.torproject.org/

If so, what do you think about it?

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

I've used TOR before (hey, that rhymes! :thumbsup: ) and found it quite useful for my covert activities. The only issue I had with it was that it slowed my connection to a crawl. I understand that it's a necessary trade-off what with all the bouncing going on, but it was a major turn-off for regular browsing and e-mail.

Person's living in China or other nations who monitor/block their citizen's use of the internet may find it extremely useful, though.

#3 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

Also, Have you tried JAP anonymous? If so, is that any better?

#4 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:52 PM

I've used TOR before (hey, that rhymes! :thumbsup: ) and found it quite useful for my covert activities. The only issue I had with it was that it slowed my connection to a crawl. I understand that it's a necessary trade-off what with all the bouncing going on, but it was a major turn-off for regular browsing and e-mail.

Person's living in China or other nations who monitor/block their citizen's use of the internet may find it extremely useful, though.

Does it do what it says it does in that it hides ones IP from where it is coming from and going to?

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

Yep.

#6 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

Yep.

have you tried JAP anonymous?

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

Nope. :thumbsup:

#8 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:29 PM

AA, is TOR difficult to set up? I have not tried it yet and I am thinking about it. Did you use it with IE or firefox?

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

As I recall, it was easy to setup. I used it with Firefox and my e-mail client under Windows with little difficulty.

I used a Firefox addon called TORbutton which allowed Firefox to switch from using TOR and back at the click of a button.

#10 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:43 PM

They also mention one should turn off Java, Flash, ActiveX, RealPlayer, Quicktime, Adobe's PDF plugin and others can be manipulated into revealing your IP address. Did you do that as well?

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

I used another Firefox addon called NoScript. It's disables pretty much all media and scripts unless you authorize it (either throughout a particular website or on individual media items.) For example, a website may be cluttered up with tons of ads and tracking scripts, but with NoScript, none of those will display/run when you access a page.

I also recommend AdBlock Plus which prevents even non-script-called ads from loading thereby cleaning up the web, increasing page load speeds, and many other benefits.

#12 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

yes, I use adblock plus as well. Have not tried noscipt though. Thanks for answering all my questions about TOR. I appreciate it. If anyone else who has tried and wants to chime in feel free to.

#13 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

Proxies and proxy websites work a lot better than Tor IMHO. But, you have to find the right ones... :thumbsup:

Edited by karbo1, 30 December 2008 - 05:45 PM.

Please post back if we found the solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users