Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive cache and speeds - is it noticable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mr2005

mr2005

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

looking at hard drives with speeds of 5400 vs 7200 rpms and 16mb vs 32mb of cache. are the 7200 rpm drives going to perform noticably better?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:05 PM

I've used combinations of both speeds with IDE/PATA drives operating at the same time (in prior years).

Laptop drives for years ran at 5400, while desk top drives could run at 5400 or 7200.

It's hard to give you good answer, with the key word/concept being "noticeably". There's obviously a considerable difference in stated speed, but I think it's only noticeable to someone looking to see it. For example, I thought that my data transfers between drives took longer when I used a 7200 PATA drive...but I find that I experience a more noticeable difference when transfering between PATA 7200 and any SATA drive. Maybe it's all in my head.

My approach is...why buy a 5400 drive when a 7200 drive is about the same price?

Louis

#3 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:52 AM

looking at hard drives with speeds of 5400 vs 7200 rpms and 16mb vs 32mb of cache. are the 7200 rpm drives going to perform noticeably better?

Rotational speed of the platters and areal or bit density are the two most important factors to consider.

Western Digital produces the VelociRaptor/Raptor series of 10,000RPM SATA hard drives which are noticeably faster than 7200RPM models. Faster still is something like the Intel X25-M 80GB SSD. One more step up is the ioDrive from Fusion-io. At $3000 for 80GB it is a little out of reach for most of us.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:02 PM

In order to get data off a magnetic platter, it must spin very fast. The faster it spins, the quicker data can be read and recorded. No matter how fast the drive can spin, it still cannot equal that of a Solid State Drive (SSD). As for the cache on a hard drive, it acts as a buffer before sending data to the memory controller, the larger the cache the more data can be sent.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users