Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sl7E4 Temperatures

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

I bought a 3.0ghz Prescott Pentium 4 HT 800mhz FSB SL7E4. Anyway, my old 2.4/800 used to run at like 45-50C..this one is idling at around 62C with fans fully cranked...when i idle the fans down(which i usually was able to do on the other one and it wouldnt fluxuate the idle temps), it goes up around 70C. Is this normal for this processor? If not, can anyone reccomend a good SILENT...as in NO NOISE...not quiet SILENT :thumbsup: Socket 478 Cooler.

PS. Im using the cooler that came stock with the 2.4/800 because I was told on this forum, its the same as the stock one with 3.0/800.
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:47 PM

When you installed the CPU did clean the old thermal compound off of the heat sink and reapply fresh thermal compound when you installed the new CPU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

No, but there was PLENTY left on it...Should I go back and rea ppl ynew grease?
Posted Image

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

Plenty being the key word. There can be too much of a good thing. You only need an amount approx. the size of a grain of rice.
Instructions: http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:42 AM

You know, I NEVER knew that and I have applied grease to multiple different CPUs and now seeing in the artic pdf wher ethey show taht the actual CPU core is only like 1/8th of the actuall processor module...i see now what the problem is and im goign to go clean off the grease i have on there and start over...any suggestions on getting it off nicely?
Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

I use alcohol and cotton balls (since I have them around), what one uses varies by person, as you would see by Googling "remove thermal paste.".

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5523

Louis

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:18 AM

I use a credit card to take off the majority of the compound, and rubbing alcohol works well to remove the rest.

When you reapply the compound place a small amount right in the center of the heat spreader of the CPU, this amount is about the size of a grain of rice. Spread it with your finger tip till is covers the heat spreader.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:40 AM

Okay I got the Thermal Paste Off, and reapplied per the directions, and my temperature is now 60C idle, with fans fully cranked. And Dosent Fluxuate much with fans turned down halfway...is 61ish okay for this proccessor?
Posted Image

#9 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:43 AM

Did some Load Tests Aswell, using Everest Ultimate Editions System Stability Test.

1/2 Fans- 74C
Full Blast-70C

Not much of a difference.

Edited by Johnny Boy, 29 December 2008 - 01:44 AM.

Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

Worth looking at: http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?...t=maxtemp.shtml

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users