Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Recent Documents/IE address bar both empty

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Schof26

Schof26

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

I don't think I'm infected, but I can't be sure. Here's the story:

I was donwloading something when, all of a sudden, the computer wanted to start an application for which I do not have a disk. I'm sure you all know the "software not found, please insert CD into drive" screen.

Then I did the following:

-I immediately stopped the download.
-I disconnected from the Internet.
-I went in to the "incomplete files" folder and deleted the files.
-I ran Ad Aware, which found a few bugs, which I delted, then Spy Bot (found nothing) and McAffee (from AOL) which also found nothing.

I haven't used the computer much since then, as I want to read other people's responses to this post before I did anything. What I can say, which is unusual, is that whe I selected the drop down on IE and the "Recent documents", both came up empty. All the files are still on my hard drive, as are my favorties in IE, but it still struck me as odd.

Should I be concerned that My Recent Documents and the Internet Explorer address bar were both empty after three virus scans? Is this a symptom of a virus or the result of some good, thorough virus scanning?

I hope you are all having wonderful, safe and enjoyable holidays and I hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users