Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reliable PC suddenly starts freezing at random

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cwhiz99

cwhiz99

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

I am in front a PC that is a few years old and has been running reliably but suddenly started freezing at random. The freeze is not Windows XP related as it also freezes if I start it with a live Linux CD.

Booting sometimes takes 6-7 hard resets and it can freeze at any time after login, completely at random. I am at loss as to how to locate the shady component. I have eliminated the hard disk as the system freezes even when started from CD with the hard disk physically disconnected from the system. I unfortunately do not have spare components to aid in diagnostics by elimination.

Any assistance is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:48 AM

My first suspect would be overheating.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Louis

#3 cwhiz99

cwhiz99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:44 PM

Heat is not the problem. When it is first turned on and still cold to the touch and with the cover removed, it needs to be reset a minimum of 4 times (sometimes 6-7 times) before it completes the boot sequence and makes it to the Windows XP login prompt.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

Second guess: power supply.

How old is the power supply unit.

How To Test Your Computers Power Supply (PSU) - Video - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/729606/how_t...wer_supply_psu/

Is It My Power Supply - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/169618/is-it-my-power-supply/

Louis

#5 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:49 AM

I had the EXACT same problem...it was my powersupply....try(assuming you have one) a different power supply...if not it sounds like the EXACT same problem I had..and I think I can safely say that you should order a new PS from newegg.
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

#6 cwhiz99

cwhiz99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:34 AM

I checked all the power supply voltages with the computer turned on, they are all within ratings.
Yellow is 12.45V,
Blue is -12.67V,
Red is 5.06V,
White is -5.37V,
Orange is 3.32V.

I am open to any suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users