Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kind of a networking ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kwboom

kwboom

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:41 AM

I am in the process of helping a friend out on his laptop, but he uses dialup and I am on cable. Can I use my phone line to make sure that his internet and modem works before I give him back his PC. I am thinking on installing Linux on his PC but I want to make sure it is all working before he gets it back.....

So can I try to connect to his ISP threw mine or will that not work???????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

As far as I know (delving back into the dark and terrible memories I have of dial-up) any phone line should work provided you have some info about his account:

1. The local access number (phone number) of his provider.
2. His username
3. His password
4. Any special settings needed by his provider

Once those are plugged in, you ought to be able to access his dial-up account/connection from anywhere that has a dialtone.

#3 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

k thankyou I will give it a try.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users