Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd/dvd not detected

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brus brother

brus brother

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

This is not a new problem but one that I finally have the time to address. If I startup through Bios, the optical drive is detected and will remain so through a restart but once I shut down the computer, the drive is not detected in Windows unless I again startup through the bios.
The computer is at my office and I don't have the details of the box right now.
It is a small footprint box with one small and cramped combined cable for the HD and the optical drive. I have changed the settings on the optical drive with no change. I can't remember with certainty if I switched the HD settings or not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

If both the hdd and the optical drive are sharing the same data cable then you are using a IDE cable. With type of configuration the hdd should be set as the Master, and the optical drive as the slave. This means that both drives will need to have their jumper set to support this configuration. The Master drive goes on the end of the cable, the slave goes in the middle.

Do you see any errors when you look in the Device Manager?

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

When the drive is not detected by Windows, go to My Computer. Does it show up there?
If not, you need to delete the upper lower filters:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users