Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen at startup

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bigmarco

Bigmarco

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:01 AM

I have a problem with my computer, this morning my computer freezed and I restarted it.
Now when it loads the desktop the screen turns black.
I can run the computer in safe mode.
But i dont know wat the problem is, maybe a virus or something :S

Does anyone have a idea??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

Is the cursor blinking at the top left corner of the black screen?

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Do you have a MS XP install CD?

Louis

#3 Bigmarco

Bigmarco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

No it is just standing in the middle of the screen and then its gone
just black screen.

I have a xp install cd.
Only Safe mode works.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:14 AM

I would enter the BIOS/Setup...and change the boot options to reflect the CD/DVD as my first boot option.

After booting, I would choose to repair an existing XP install via the Recovery Console.

In the RC, I type 1 for the install and just hit Enter when prompted for password.

Then I would run the command chkdsk /r, with a space between the k and r, allowing to run to completion.

I would then try to boot.

Louis

#5 Bigmarco

Bigmarco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:17 AM

Okey, i'll try to run chkdsk /r.
I'll report back when its finished

#6 Bigmarco

Bigmarco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:08 PM

It's finished scanning and says he has found one or more errors.
How can these be repaired?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:57 PM

They've already been repaired as best as they can...if you ran the command I suggested.

Louis

#8 Bigmarco

Bigmarco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:11 PM

It still isn't repaired.
Still getting black screen when the computer starts

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

Since you access safe mode, it's likely to be a driver issue, IMO.

Without an error message or any clues, this is hard to pursue.

I would go into msconfig and elect the diagnostic startup...and reboot. I've never used this tool so I can't tell you what to expect or how to proceed from here.

Louis

#10 Bigmarco

Bigmarco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

I ran chkdsk /r again, and where still errors.
I'm trying the diagnostic startup now, but I don't really know how it works..
I can select a few options and when i select systemservices loading in memory (something like that) it will start en show a black screen.

Also my mouse appears before the blue welcome screen, and normally i get to see it when the desktop starts.

Do you think i have to format my c drive and reinstall windows?

Edited by Bigmarco, 26 December 2008 - 07:27 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

If you have repeated errors when running chkdsk /r, the most likely suspect is the hard drive itself.
You'll have to find the manufacturer of your hard drive, then use this link to access the manufacturer's diagnostics: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

If you're unable to locate the manufacturer of the drive, then try the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test. Read the instructions carefully, then download the ISO file and burn it with an ISO burner in order to make the disk bootable. Follow the instructions to test the drive. This will not be as accurate as the manufacturer's utility, but it should be able to tell you if the drive is in major trouble.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:07 AM

I read over this and I tend to agree with Louis that it is probably a device driver problem.

Look through your bootlog.txt to see if there is an error loading the video driver If it shows the error, simply reload the driver. Or when you load the driver choose a different resolution.

Since the system works in safe mode but you forgot to tell us in what resolution try an old trick that may or may not still work. While the system is coming up, i.e. Windows is initializing, hold down the "v" key. This "trick" used to force the OS to come up in standard VGA mode. If this workd then you know you have a corrupt device driver or perhaps even (worst case scenario) a fault on the video controller preventing it from initializing to the mode/resolution you chose.

Good luck - Happy New Year regards _ed_

#13 Bigmarco

Bigmarco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:32 AM

If this workd then you know you have a corrupt device driver or perhaps even (worst case scenario) a fault on the video controller preventing it from initializing to the mode/resolution you chose.

The strange thing is that it shows the desktop for a few seconds and then turns black. So i dont think it has something to do with the resolution.

#14 Bigmarco

Bigmarco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:34 AM

If you have repeated errors when running chkdsk /r, the most likely suspect is the hard drive itself.
You'll have to find the manufacturer of your hard drive, then use this link to access the manufacturer's diagnostics: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

If you're unable to locate the manufacturer of the drive, then try the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test. Read the instructions carefully, then download the ISO file and burn it with an ISO burner in order to make the disk bootable. Follow the instructions to test the drive. This will not be as accurate as the manufacturer's utility, but it should be able to tell you if the drive is in major trouble.

It's a maxtor, but all the maxtor links on the url don't work

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

Seagate bought Maxtor, use the Seagate website, http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools.

I tend to use the DOS/floppy version.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users