Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build = no power

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 droo09

droo09

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:22 AM

Hey there, I just got a new build that I would love to get running, but there is a problem; the system gets no power. I am fresh out of ideas. I have tested practically everything but nothing makes sense; The motherboard was tested and has no problems, I tried 2 different power supplies both did not work, I tried powering the motherboard outside of the case because the case might have grounding issues, but still no go. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:27 AM

Assuming mobo outside of case still:

Install CPU, 1 stick of RAM, and video card and nothing else. Manually short the "PWR" pins together on the motherboard and see if you get anything. If a no go, unplug main 20/24pin connector from board, short the green wire to a ground(any black wire) and see if PSU powers up. If PSU powers up, you likely have a defective motherboard.

You know, it might be possible to test the board without anything (CPU/RAM/video), but I have never tried it. I am going to try this tomorrow with my spare parts pile just because it's there.

Edited by dpunisher, 26 December 2008 - 02:36 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 droo09

droo09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:19 AM

hey dpunisher, thanks for your reply. I'm sure it is not the motherboard because I actually tried to return it, but the tech there proved me wrong by plugging it in and showing me the bios settings on the monitor. Looking at your post, I'm not sure what you mean by "Manually short the PWR pins on the motherboard".

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:25 AM

The pins where the case power switch/button plugs in.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 droo09

droo09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:26 AM

I'm sorry i guess I also meant by what means do I "short" something on the motherboard. I haven't done anything like this and not sure.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:22 AM

Touch something metal such as a screwdriver to the pwr pins. These are the two pins where you put the small cables from the case to the motherboard so when you press the power button, the computer turns on.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 droo09

droo09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

:thumbsup: ok ok so the PSU powers up when I short the PWR pins on the motherboard, i feel like we have made a big breakthrough. What does this mean then? Are all my parts functionable?

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:01 PM

Your power switch on the case might be bad, or you hooked the switch leads incorrectly to the motherboard. Next step is to see if the board will post (with CPU,memory, and video card).

#9 droo09

droo09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

From the looks of it, my case connectors are bad; Computer doesn't budge when they are connected. The good news is that I can get into the bios. I am concerned though however, When I just let the system boot up, it keeps saying to connect a bootable device when my HD is connected. Not sure where to go from here..

#10 droo09

droo09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

scratch that last comment, looks like my system is running now! Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it.. just need to scrap up some cash to buy a new case.

#11 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:09 PM

I'm glad everything worked out for you! If you need anymore help, please feel free to ask us :thumbsup: .
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users