Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First IE and then Firefox won't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chalala

Chalala

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:18 AM

Just some general info: I am using Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7, and firefox version 3. I am directly connected to a DSL modem (no wireless router). The problem is only occuring on one computer.

My Problem: A couple weeks ago IE suddenly refused to connect to any websites. I ignored it and began using firefox instead. I tried downloading the newest version of Internet explorer, but it too would not connect to any website. Less than one week later, Firefox began exhibiting the same problem. Meanwhile, all other applications seem to have no trouble connecting to the internet (for example, Windows live messenger). I have since been using Real player's web browser and worry that it might soon fail me. I have not installed any new software recently nor am I aware of any out-of-the-ordinary downloads. Does anyone have any idea how a problem like this could occur and seem to spread from browser to browser?

The Error Messages:
(Internet Explorer)
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems
More Information

(Firefox)
Failed to Connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at en-us.start2.mozilla.com.
Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

What I've Tried:
I've disabled all firewalls, uninstalled both browsers and reinstalled them. I've tried running firefox in safe mode, and internet explorer without add-ons. I tried reseting all defaults in both programs also. Nothing I have done seems to have any effect.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

When you say you updated IE to the newest version, were you referring to the IE 8 beta or IE 7?

#3 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:36 AM

It sounds like a DNS hihack. I don't know much about this problem but try checking your DHCP status and make sure you are getting new IPs from your ISP. Your ISP should be able to help with reloading a IP. They may also be able to offer some suggestions on how to detect and remove the hijack.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

If it was a DNS hijack, wouldn't all of his internet browsers been affected at the same time? The OP states that first IE failed, then FF.

#5 Chalala

Chalala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

When you say you updated IE to the newest version, were you referring to the IE 8 beta or IE 7?

IE 8 Beta

If it was a DNS hijack, wouldn't all of his internet browsers been affected at the same time? The OP states that first IE failed, then FF.

This is correct... the two browsers did not fail at the same time. First IE, then FF.

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:40 PM

Oh no......the IE8 Beta is just that, a Beta, incomplete,buggy piece of software. It has caused many issues on machines, even making them unbootable. I highly recommend downgrading back to IE7 until the official release of IE8 comes out.

I would recommend doing a system restore, but since the problem occurred weeks ago, I will try to diagnose and hopefully fix it.

Since it affected each browser at a different time, that makes it more difficult to pinpoint for me. Were you visiting a specific page? Or did it just happen when you started up IE or Firefox?

May want to have a read here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431

Edited by xblindx, 29 December 2008 - 01:42 PM.

#7 Chalala

Chalala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:20 AM

Oh yes, I immediately downgraded back to IE 7 when I saw that it made no difference in my attempts to connect to the internet.

And as to your question, the error did not occur when I tried to navigate to a specific web page or as I used the browser. The failure began as I started up each browser.

And thank you for the link, but after trying all of the suggestions, I'm afraid I've still gotten no results.

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:47 PM

There is a chance it is an infection that is trying to prevent you from using the internet to remove it. I don't know how likely that is, but it is still possible.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.

Please include the following in your reply:
MBAM log file

Since you can't use the internet (unless you can download it with the Real player browser) you can download the file on another computer and copy it over via flashdrive or CD.

If the scan finds anything, I will alert a mod to move this topic to the Am I Infected forum.

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

Also, have you tried disabling your firewall and then trying to use Firefox or IE?

#10 Chalala

Chalala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:45 PM

Also, have you tried disabling your firewall and then trying to use Firefox or IE?

Yes I have, so I will try what you have suggested in your previous post and let you know how it goes.

Thank you for all your efforts :thumbsup:

Edited by Chalala, 31 December 2008 - 01:46 PM.

#11 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

Just another quick question, are you noticing firefox.exe or iexplore.exe in the task manager when you are not using them? Restart your computer and check for them before doing anything else.

Do the above after you do the scan

#12 Chalala

Chalala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

I have installed the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program, but at the last step of setup, the program attempts to preform "updates" and fails, giving me the following message:

"Update failed. Make sure you are connected to the internet and your firewall is set to allow Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to access the intrnet."

I am definately connected to the internet and firewalls are all turned off. I recently tried to scan with Lavasoft Ad-Aware, and it also fails to retrieve definition updates. Another program that fails to connect to the internet is Skype (can't sign in). Real player continues to connect to the internet as well as Windows live messenger, and Yahoo messenger. I also tried using the Netscape 8.0 Browser, but it will not connect, giving me a message that reads: "The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.google.com" (my homepage).

Should I continue with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan even though it has not updated?

#13 Chalala

Chalala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.

I've just noticed the link and have installed the updates manually. I will continue with the scan.

Edited by Chalala, 02 January 2009 - 01:11 PM.

#14 Chalala

Chalala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1456
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

1/2/2009 10:37:02 AM
mbam-log-2009-01-02 (10-37-02).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 91144
Time elapsed: 22 minute(s), 31 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 15
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{3c2d2a1e-031f-4397-9614-87c932a848e0} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2b96d5cc-c5b5-49a5-a69d-cc0a30f9028c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx.1 (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ModuleUsage\c:/windows/downloaded program files/popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{c9c5deaf-0a1f-4660-8279-9edfad6fefe1} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{e4e3e0f8-cd30-4380-8ce9-b96904bdefca} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{fe8a736f-4124-4d9c-b4b1-3b12381efabe} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{9522b3fb-7a2b-4646-8af6-36e7f593073c} (Adware.Coupons) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs\C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs\C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\RECYCLER\ADAPT_Installer.exe (Heuristics.Malware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#15 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

May I direct you to the Am I Infected? section. Please post a new topic there with a link to this topic ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic189329.html).

How are things running now?

Edited by xblindx, 02 January 2009 - 03:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users