Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Foundations book

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jtphenom

jtphenom

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:12 AM

I just bought a book called "Java Foundations, With Additional Information on Ethics." I'm wondering if, aside from the section on ethics, this book is the same as the original "Java Foundations: Introduction to Program Design & Data Structures." It says that this book is taken from that one, but I want to make sure this version isn't missing any of the stuff the other book has. If anyone has "Java Foundations: Introduction to Program Design & Data Structures," can they please do me a favor and PM me a breakdown of the chapters so I can be sure I'm not missing anything?

Thanks!

Edited by jtphenom, 26 December 2008 - 11:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

Nobody, huh?

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:45 PM

Interesting... I can't find a link to "Java Foundations, With Additional Information on Ethics." Do you have an ISBN for that?

#4 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

Interesting... I can't find a link to "Java Foundations, With Additional Information on Ethics." Do you have an ISBN for that?

Yes. Here you go: 0-536-44396-3

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

That matches nothing.

#6 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:43 PM

That matches nothing.

OK the way I found this book is by going on amazon.com and searching for the Java Foundations book. Among the listing of used books on sale under the results of this search was "Java Foundations, with Additional Information on Ethics." It was cheap and in "Used - like New" condition, so I bought it for about $65. It even calls itself a "Custom Edition (I wonder if that means it will be worth extra money in the future!...probably not...)." But I'm just looking for someone who has the original book, so I can know whether this book has all the same information as the original (plus the ethics section).

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:48 AM

Regardless, the ISBN number matches nothing, so it is a bit hard to answer your original question. Actually, given the number that you gave, it is impossible to answer your question. Are you sure that is the ISBN?

#8 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

Regardless, the ISBN number matches nothing, so it is a bit hard to answer your original question. Actually, given the number that you gave, it is impossible to answer your question. Are you sure that is the ISBN?

That is the ISBN given on the inside of the front cover. It wouldn't be impossible to answer my question if you had the original book and were willing to compare your Table of Contents with mine. But I assume you don't have the original book?

Incidentally, I did a search for the title of this book, and I could not find it anywhere. Even when I tried to look back at my original order for this book, when I clicked on the link to the book I ordered, it showed the original book, and NOT this one. This really is a Custom Edition, apparently. Maybe they only made one copy?? I doubt it, but that is as it seems!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users