Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why do I have so many iexplore.exe's running at once?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Allred

Michael Allred

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

The other day I noticed that ad-aware 2008 (free) was (and is) continually having problems either loading up, finishing a scan, etc. Now Firefox keeps crashing on me.

Ok, I use Spywareblaster, McAfee anti-virus, ad-aware (obviously) and am currently running superantispyware. I also use ZoneAlarm as a firewall so I'm assuming I'm fairly well protected.

Anyway I noticed today when checking on the running processes that the CPU usage was running higher than normal. I usually see it around 11% but it's been hitting around 30% today and I see several listings for iexplore.exe, 8 to be exact plus one more for explorer.exe. I've never seen that many iexplorer.exe's running before, especially when internet explorer isn't even open, I mean I've got firefox open right now not IE so what's the deal here?

Edited by Pandy, 26 December 2008 - 01:49 AM.
AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:16 AM

Are you running IE8? If so. IE8 is in BETA stage, and has, on some computers, caused the machine to become unbootable. I recommend downgrading back to IE7 until the official release of IE 8.

If it is not a problem with that, it could be the poison ivy rootkit, which I was infected with a few months ago. Restart your computer, and before opening anything, open task manager and see if either iexplore.exe or firefox.exe is running.

Edited by xblindx, 27 December 2008 - 10:17 AM.

#3 Arioch13

Arioch13

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

Having exactly the same problem only possibly worse. Its opening over 50 instances of the internet explorers processes. When I try and close them it just reopens them as a recovered tab.

Really annoying. NOD32 pics up nothing niether did a couple of root kit scanners I tried just in case.

Tried running NOD32 in safe mode from command prompts also in case.

Beggining to think that this is just the IE8 bug you guys mentioned above. Going back to firefox. Dont know what I was thinking when I had the breakdown resulting me giving IE a go with a beta product.

#4 Arioch13

Arioch13

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

I de-installed IE8 and it ALMOST totally went away. Then when running nod32 in safe mode it found some sort of root kit. It removed it and I havent seen the problem at all since.

#5 Poker_G

Poker_G

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:10 AM

Anything NEW on this?

I understand, although I am a fan of the multiple iexplore.exe processes running, why this is... BUT after I close all IE8 windows, I still show serveral processes running. I am alittle concerned about this, especially since I often get a msg, upon re-opening IE8, that IE8 imprpoerly shutdown. I then have the options to Restore last session or go to my homepage.

FYI, Runnig XP PRO 2002 sp3, IE8.0.6001.18702.

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

It seems to be a feature purposely put into IE8 so that if 1 tab crashes, all of them don't since they run in a seperate instance of iexplore.exe

How long are the instances of iexplore.exe staying open after you close down IE?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users