Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to know what video card to buy with older Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:23 PM

Hey all, I have an older 4 pin power supply. I really wanted the newer 9600gt nvidia card, but my power supply is only 4 pin, even my backup supplies are 4 pin. So, I still want to upgrade my vid card. All that I have now is the 7300gt. It does have HDR lighting support, but the graphics power is just too low for the games I want to be able to play. What is the best card that I can buy for my power supply. I'm thinking it will be a card in the 8000 series. PCI-E

MB Winfast SIS-761GXK8MC

AMD Athlon64 processor 4800+

A-power 500 Watt PSU 4 pin connector

1GB DDR SDRAM

Edited by GoodFortitude, 25 December 2008 - 09:35 PM.

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

Change your circumstances; change your mind.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

How many amps on the +12V rail(s)? Your power supply may be good enough. You could get a 6 pin adapter cheap, some video cards even come with one.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:53 AM

Most video cards that require 6-8 pin adapters include them in the package already, unless it is some whitebox OEM setup. Like Sterling14 said, check your 12V rail(s), and go from there.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:43 PM

alright. thanks. I'll look into getting an adapter. sounds like the easiest route for me right now.

A man isn't measured by how many men he can bring down but, rather, by how many he brings up.

#5 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

12V is 28 amps. 3.3V is 30A and 5v is 38A. What do you think? Will this do?

I have in a Mad Dog right now. Supposed to be better than A-power, but it only has a 20A 12V rail and it's 350 Watt.

Edited by GoodFortitude, 30 December 2008 - 05:13 PM.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

A power supply at 500Watts and 28a on the 12v rail should run a 9600gt fine.

A 350 watt with only 20a on the 12v rail is really pushing it. I wouldn't recommend it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

Thanks Sterling and Punisher. I'm getting ready to order that vid card. It's since then come to my attention though that PCI-E and PCI-E 2.0 aren't always compatible. My MB is PCI-E 16X. I have read that the 2.0 is backwards compatible, but perhaps that doesn't always mean it will work with an older PCI-E x16 slot. I just want to be sure that it will work with my MB before I order the part. Everything I have found and read online concerning my MB (listed in first post) doesn't really indicate much on this topic. Most all of the reasonably priced 9600gt's are 2.0. And, there is quite a jump in performance capability from even the 9500gt. So, I wouldn't want to settle. Any suggestions on how I can find out?

Edited by GoodFortitude, 05 January 2009 - 12:24 AM.

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

I don't know where you are getting that information, but I'm pretty sure pcix16 and pcie 2.0 are 100% compatible.

#9 GoodFortitude

GoodFortitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:25 AM

o.k., I thought that it should be. Thanks again!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users