Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio Device

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jfever

jfever

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:12 PM

I am running an HP Pavilion zt1135 XP Home Edition SP2 with an Intel Celeron. Out of the blue, in the Sound and Audio Devices Properties, on the Volume tab ‘No Audio Device’ appears.

On the Sound tab of Sound and Audio Devices Properties, my Default Device says ‘Modem #1 Line Playback’ and is my only drop down choice. I made no configuration changes or installed any new software, it just stopped working.

I have googled for solutions, to no avail. I have an ‘!’ next to the Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer in Device Manager that upon re-install displays a message that there was a problem installing this hardware(MEDIA) I/O operation has been aborted because of either a threadd exit or an application request(both installing from driver folder and recovery CD).

I don’t particularly care what sound device I have, just one that works again. I’ve uninstalled the sound devices and let them re-install on reboot and have checked the BIOS settings(I don’t have any sound related settings there).

In Admin Tools > Services ‘Windows Audio’ is started and set to Automatic. When I manually try to play a windows sound in the Sounds tab I get an error message that says my sound card may be in use.

Under Sound and Audio Devices in Device Manager I currently have(when I ‘Show Hidden’):

-Audio codecs
-Legacy Audio Drivers
-Legacy Video Capture Devices
-Media Control Devices
-Microsoft Kernel DRM Audio Descrambler
-Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device
-Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver
-RealTek AC’97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller
-Uni-modem Half-Duplex Audio Device
-Unknown Device(which is the Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer which won’t install) (!)
-Video codecs

Don't know what else to try. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:21 AM

I'm not sure what your problem could be. The sound device on your notebook is given on HP's support pages as - "Audio controller: VIA/Realtek ALC201 AC97 Codec". They don't offer any drivers for this specifically but you should be able to extract them from the restore disks (but I don't know the details of how).

Things which look odd to me in your list of Sound and Audio Devices are:

Microsoft Kernel DRM Audio Descrambler
Uni-modem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Unknown Device(which is the Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer which won’t install)

- I would delete these, along with the Realtec AC97 device, and reboot. When Windows detects the AC97 point it at your restore CD or wherever you were able to save the sound driver.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:43 AM

And if that won't work, consider a PCMCIA or USB audio adaptor, the AC97 embedded junk may have gone south...
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

#4 jfever

jfever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:51 PM

I was able to follow Rimmer's instructions(with some variances) and get to the point where I have no (!) suspect sound devices and have gotten rid of the other 2 suspicious ones--as well as re-install of AC'97 successfully. Drivers appear fine. It just refuses to recognize that I have a sound device other than that :thumbsup: #$%!@ Modem Line # 1 Playback. I'm worn out with this. Have spent too much time messing with it. Thanks for the effort. I think I'll just turn on the stereo and throw in the towel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users