Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot find nefavega.dll / nVidia problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Magnir

Magnir

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

Hello and Merry Christmas!

This morning I attempted to remove the Spyguard malware from my computer and during a needed reboot to remove the files my computer spiraled into a blue-screen-of-death loop where it continually rebooted itself.

I was able to fix this problem by using the repair function that is available from the original install disks.

After performing the repair, my computer rebooted fine with 2 exceptions: it tells me that it cannot find the C:\\windows\system\nefavega.dll and my nvidia drivers seem to have disappeared from my computer. Also, the refresh rate on my computer is now rather slow. It refreshes in a slow wave whenever I scroll up or down a website (but I believe that this will be fixed if I can fix the current problem).

I have the GeoForce7600 GS graphics card.

Solution I've tried:

I've gone to nvidia.com and downloaded the latest driver updates. I also double-checked to make sure that the update had a driver for my specific card. Upon running the program, it tells me that it cannot find that hardware on my computer. The card does appear to be working, however, because my resolution settings have not changed or "blown out"

Solutions I've thought of but am fearful of trying due to my lack of knowledge:

1) I have the WinXP upgrade disk and could run that to see if it would fix my nefavega.dll problem. But I don't know if it will help or further FUBAR my computer.

2) Removing and re-installing my graphics card. I cannot find the original disk that came with the hardware and I'm not sure that the downloadable drivers will be enough to get my graphics card up and running again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Magnir

Magnir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

It seems that my videocard isn't working at all. I'm going to try to remove and reinstall it.

Hopefully it isn't fried.

#3 Magnir

Magnir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

The specific error that I get on start up is

Error loading c:\windows\system32\nefavega.dll
The specific module could not be found

What is that module for? All of the searches that I've done on the internet simply point me to malware that affects the file. Could this problem be affecting my graphics card or are they unrelated?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

You removed malware from your computer
The search for nefavega.dll is most likely malware (based on your searches and mine)
The system cannot find nefavega.dll - so it's most likely that this file was removed when you removed the malware.
You can stop the error message by using this free program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx
Use the search function to find any instances of nefavega.dll and remove the checkmark next to them - reboot to verify that this makes the error message go away.

Beyond that, it appears that this has done some damage to your system. The worst thing that you can do right now is try fix after fix without a logical, methodical approach.

The first step in fighting malware infections is to get a second, independent opinion. You don't know if the malware has corrupted your current protection, so you'll need to try a couple of these free, online scans to see if you really are clean: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users