Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio Device

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jfever

jfever

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:07 PM

I am running an HP Pavilion zt1135 XP Home Edition SP2 with an Intel Celeron. Out of the blue, in the Sound and Audio Devices Properties, on the Volume tab ‘No Audio Device’ appears.

On the Sound tab of Sound and Audio Devices Properties, my Default Device says ‘Modem #1 Line Playback’ and is my only drop down choice. I made no configuration changes or installed any new software, it just stopped working.

I have googled for solutions, to no avail. I have an ‘!’ next to the Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer in Device Manager that upon re-install displays a message that there was a problem installing this hardware(MEDIA) I/O operation has been aborted because of either a threadd exit or an application request(both installing from driver folder and recovery CD).

I don’t particularly care what sound device I have, just one that works again. I’ve uninstalled the sound devices and let them re-install on reboot and have checked the BIOS settings(I don’t have any sound related settings there).

In Admin Tools > Services ‘Windows Audio’ is started and set to Automatic. When I manually try to play a windows sound in the Sounds tab I get an error message that says my sound card may be in use.

Under Sound and Audio Devices in Device Manager I currently have(when I ‘Show Hidden’):

-Audio codecs
-Legacy Audio Drivers
-Legacy Video Capture Devices
-Media Control Devices
-Microsoft Kernel DRM Audio Descrambler
-Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device
-Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver
-RealTek AC’97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller
-Uni-modem Half-Duplex Audio Device
-Unknown Device(which is the Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer which won’t install) (!)
-Video codecs

Don't know what else to try. Any help would be appreciated.

(Mod edit: moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 16 May 2005 - 10:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:53 PM

Sounds like the sound driver may have been corrupted. You should go to HP's site and redownload the audio drivers and install them and see if it fixes the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users