Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have to use the Norton Removal Tool if I use a modified version of NIS 2007 provided by my ISP?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:37 PM

I'm tired with Norton slowing down startup and Auto Protect suddenly crashing and I'm planning to replace it with Avira AntiVir, Comodo Firewall and Malwarebytes. I looked for uninstallation instructions and found this: http://help.yahoo.com/l/ca/rogers/yop26/ba.../basics-12.html

It doesn't mention the Norton Removal Tool but I beleive that the original Norton and my modified version provided by my IP are the same in the core and it also requires the Removal Tool.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

There is a specific removal tool for ISP versions of Norton.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

What if I have already uninstalled NIS and installed a new AV?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

I don't think running the Removal Tool will cause any problems. But then again, if you're not experiencing any problems, there's probably no need to run the Tool.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:32 PM

I'm not experiencing any problems, but Norton left a lot of garbage (registry, system drive and services) and I can't uninstall it's "LiveUpdate Notice". What if I have already uninstalled Norton and LiveUpdate?

Edited by Lloyd T, 25 December 2008 - 06:33 PM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:35 PM

In that case I would run the removal tool.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the help, Budapest. I'll let you know what happens.

#8 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for the help, Budapest! All traces of Norton are gone! :thumbsup:

#9 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:17 AM

As a point of interest, can you still get your Avira definition updates?

When I used the removal tool on my vista laptop, it removed part of Windows which Avira uses for updates.

Fortunately there is a way to restore the file if you need to.

I had the same setup as you have now by the way, but changed to Comodo Internet Security with Avira free installed without the guard, just to keep an eye on the Comodo av until there are top level testing results for it. I will probably not need Avira as Comodo antivirus is improving all the time and heuristics are due to be included any time now together with BOClean.
James

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:23 AM

I had the same setup as you have now by the way, but changed to Comodo Internet Security with Avira free installed without the guard, just to keep an eye on the Comodo av until there are top level testing results for it.

Some malware experts believe that having two anti-virus applications installed at the same time is a recipe for trouble even if only one is active. This is because of the way anti-virus engines patch into the system kernel.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:46 AM

Some malware experts believe that having two anti-virus applications installed at the same time is a recipe for trouble even if only one is active. This is because of the way anti-virus engines patch into the system kernel.

There don't seem to be any conflicts but maybe I will uninstall Avira, as neither of them find anything and Defense+ makes an av hardly necessary as long as you know what to deny. Thanks. :thumbsup:

I could always run an online scan if I had any doubt, so that may be a better way of checking.
James

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:45 AM

I've been using Comodo anti-virus for over a year now (along with their firewall) and have been very happy with it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:04 AM

I've been using Comodo anti-virus for over a year now (along with their firewall) and have been very happy with it.

The very first beta of Comodo Internet Security, which includes the current Antivirus, was only released to testers on 11th September, 2008. The public release was on 23rd October.

I wonder if you have the old CAVS2 still which is no longer supported, as development stopped a while ago when they started work on the new one?

That one never made it out of beta and performed poorly.

The latest firewall 3.5 was also introduced at the same time.
James

#14 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:44 AM

As a point of interest, can you still get your Avira definition updates?

When I used the removal tool on my vista laptop, it removed part of Windows which Avira uses for updates.

Fortunately there is a way to restore the file if you need to.

I had the same setup as you have now by the way, but changed to Comodo Internet Security with Avira free installed without the guard, just to keep an eye on the Comodo av until there are top level testing results for it. I will probably not need Avira as Comodo antivirus is improving all the time and heuristics are due to be included any time now together with BOClean.

My desktop is XP, but to be safe I'll check the update engine later.

#15 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:57 AM

You should be OK then. I think Avira were going to change something for vista so that it is probably fixed by now. It needed a registry edit last year.
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users