Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows error message

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shymnii

Shymnii

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

Can anyone help me please!!!!
I have tried many times with no sucess to download files from the web and each time I get an error message that says C:\documents and settings|temperory internet files
Windows cannot access the specified path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.
I have tried doing a disk clean up, defrag and set my virus - spyware checker to run but all to no avail
I have thought of downloading a reg cleaner but even then I can't get past this error report.
The only thing I have done recently to the computer is clear out a Reg cleaner that was unused. I can't even get Dr Watson to detect any faults in the system :thumbsup:

Edited by Shymnii, 25 December 2008 - 04:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

Repair install...after developing some basis for belief that malware is not the problem..is what I suggest.

When did the problem start?

Have you tried running System Restore in XP?

Since you only mention browser transactions...have repaired or reinstalled your browser?

Louis

#3 Shymnii

Shymnii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:02 AM

Yes I have tried Systems restore but am unable to find a clean restore point.
I am not the best at sorting out computers but I do my best where possible.
I did try going back to November to find a restore point but was denied.
Thanks you so much for your help so far, I would really love to get this sorted. Not sure there is much more info I can give you apart from this.

Edited by Shymnii, 26 December 2008 - 06:03 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:09 PM

I believe that the path for the downloads (for the temporary files) is incorrect. C:\documents and settings|temperory internet files is not a valid path on my copy of XP.

The temporary files on my system are in C:\Documents and Settings\usasma\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

I would first run at least one of these free, online scans to see if your system's current protection has been compromised: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Shymnii

Shymnii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:38 AM

Thanks Usasma,
I have tried to download Panda security scan from your blog and have once again been denied the install process I am really at a lose as to what is causing this problem. I have tried Hamlius' advice and tried to reinstall I.E but even this was refused due to the corrupted path. I have done a Run sfc/scannow also but have not found any problems. I have been through the whole Malware scans, virus and spyware that I have install already on XP also check with Zonealarm as to what the prob could be but still can't install any thing. Thanks again to both of you for your help but the problem still occures.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

FWIW: The "reg cleaner" you used may have done any number of things to compound your problems.

That plus the possibility of malware...compound any attempts at a solution.

When I can't even do a repair install, clean install is the next step for me.

Louis

#7 Shymnii

Shymnii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:42 AM

Thanks to all who tried to help me!! I found the root of the problem while uninstalling some recent windows updates. I had experience a problem with an update conflicting with Zone alarm about 6 months ago and after remembering that I decided to uninstall recent updates to see if there was something new causing the problem. While uninstalling these I came across a game programe from Reflexive that I had tried to download and was notified that if I uninstalled a particular update this game would not work. As the game hadn't worked when installed anyway, I decided to delete it and continue with my search for the cause of the problem. I deleted 3 recent updated from Windows and the problem went away.
The computer then reinstall the 3 updates but the system is working fine now. My conclusion is a bad game from Reflexive for others out there the game was House of Wonders The Kitty Kats wedding HOG

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for letting us know, this'll help others who come searching for help for the same sort of problem!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users