Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not connect with browser but limewire works even after reinstall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 tattooz

tattooz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

Hello everyone.
I have a serious problem and can not figgure it out for the life of me.

Last week I was getting popups saying my AV was disabled. I downloaded a few other AV programs and found a bunch of malware. trojan.vundo and a few others. I got rid of most of the viruses but still got the popup. Finally I gave up. Soon after that I lost my internet connection. The strange thing was that I could still use bearshare / limewire and downlod but could not connect through IE or firefox and my outlook didn't work. All DNS settings were on auto and looked fine. I looked every where for the cause with no luck.

Yesterday I decided to repartition, reformat, and reinstall windows xp pro.
I still can not browse the web or use outlook but can get onto bearshare no prob.
The only thing I installed was the drivers for my motherboard and drivers for gforce 7600. I tried IE and it just times out. I can connect with my laptop with no problems. (also disabled windows firewall)

I tried different cables from my pc to my modem and same to laptop. The laptop always connects while the PC will not.
Could there be a virus in my bios? I have no clue when it comes to bios so I dont know where to look. I did set them back to default but no help.

Cananyone help me? Thanks so much

BTW, I am going on vacation tomorrow for a week so I will not be at my pc. I was just going to wait untill I got back to post this but I really want to know if anyone knows what the problem could be.
Again, thank you all for any kind of help you can give me and for taking the time out to read this. Much apreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

Hi there tattooz.I think you may find reading through this forum useful. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ :thumbsup:

#3 tattooz

tattooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. Merry christmas.

I have read quite a few posts similar to my problem, but not exactly the same.

I have went as far as deleting the partition - repartitioning - reformating the drive - and reinstalling windows and I still have the problem.
My apoligies if there is a post in that section that I did not read that explains it. I will go back now and read through more to make sure. I think I should of posted in that part of the forum huh? Sorry.

#4 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

I have went as far as deleting the partition - repartitioning - reformating the drive - and reinstalling windows and I still have the problem.

You may need to try this tattooz http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ :thumbsup:

#5 tattooz

tattooz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

You may need to try this tattooz http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ :thumbsup:

The weatherman,
Again, thanks for taking the time out of your day to help. I've done as you sugested and here's what I have got :
(I can't seem to find the attach button? Do I need to start a new topic to do this?)

Edit: I posted in the wrong section and to save admins time I'll do it the right way. Sorry

Edited by tattooz, 26 December 2008 - 11:26 AM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,804 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

Hello tattooz,

I see that you now have a log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/191844/can-not-connect-with-browser-but-limewire-works-even-after-reinstall-of-xp-pro/. Now that this log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users