Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

You may be a victim of software counterfieting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eilis

Eilis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

I purchased this computer from IBM several years ago and when it had some problems I had to call Geek Squad to reinstall the Operating System. I have had problems with it ever since. I have not been able to get help from Geek Squad regarding the message that their software install was "counterfeit". Now, ever since Microsoft sent update Kb905474 I am getting a message that I may have been a victim of software counterfeiting... How do I remove this update. I have tried to remove it using the Microsoft add/remove program tool. It says that this update can not be removed. Help!

My OS is XP Professional.

Edited by Eilis, 25 December 2008 - 03:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

A call to Microsoft explaining the problem should handle it in short order
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ProgramIn...e9-82b5992f0ae2
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

You probably could have solved that...just by using the proper key for your system and doing a repair install.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users