Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP, XP, dear god, my new hard drive doesn't like XP....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thefriesguy

thefriesguy

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:47 AM

okay, guys, i'm desperate here. i bought a 320 GB EIDE hard drive for my computer, to replace the 40 GB one i have, transfer my files from the 40 to the 320, format the 40 and give it to my mom for christmas, because she wants some extra storage for her stuff.

that being said, i cannot get XP to install on the new hard drive. i did format the drive, first it was as a slave to the original drive, but the original is giving me too many problems now, so i tried reformatting it as a primary partition to try and install XP on it (the original XP, from 2001-02) it didn't work. i've tried everything. setting the new drive as the master to the 40 GB slave, i've tried the opposite, i've tried formatting it as everything the disk management program will let me. i HAD it at one point, but it partitioned the drive in half, so i had 128 GB on the partition with windows, and then 170 as unused space. and of course, because i'm so hard-headed, that wasn't enough. i reformatted the drive, and now it absolutely refuses to install XP. i RE-tried what worked the first time, installing XP on the new drive as the only drive in the computer, but when it got to the restart, it restarted, but it goes two screens (the screen with my GPU's details on it, and then the CPU's screen with the intel logo in the top-right corner) and then restarts again.

*sighs* if it's something i did wrong, tell me what, and instructions from formatting the drive to actually getting XP on it, in great detail would be appreciated. my fingers are getting blisters from swapping the drives around so much, and my computer takes several minutes to boot, if it decides it'll boot at all.

P.S. no, it's not compatibility issues, i have a 2003 model IBM, so, naturally, IDE is rampant inside my computer case. and the drive DOES work, it had crysis and my norton 360 backup files on it.

P.P.S. and i'm trying to KEEP what i have on the 40 GB drive, but i have nowhere to transfer it to.

any help is greatly appreciated, even if it doesn't work.

now the specs, just so you guys have some idea what i'm using

CPU: intel pentium 4 2.40 GHz
GPU: (PCI) nVidia 8400 GS 512 MB
Hard Drives: (master) western digital 40 GB IDE (slave) western digital 320 EIDE
Memory: 1 GB DDR (x2 512)

again, thanks guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thefriesguy

thefriesguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:42 AM

mmmm.....hmmmm..... :thumbsup:

this problem appears to have resolved itself, but a new one has arisen on the 320 GB drive now....

i right click the new volume from the master (E: and C: respectively) and go to properties. it says the free space on the new drive is 125 GB. i checked the disk manager to see if it was partitioned like last time, and guess what? it's not. i've somehow lost 150+ GB of space on the new drive, yet the disk manager says there's 298 on it. is there any way to get it back without un-doing the work and luck that i've done/come across so far, or am i just going to have to accept this fact?

-_- this is starting to seem like more headache than it's worth.....

~ the fries guy

Edited by thefriesguy, 25 December 2008 - 06:43 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

Using the software of your choice...just clone the 40GB partition/drive to the larger drive, as the C: partition on that drive.

Then change the larger drive for the smaller and boot it...should be good.

Louis

#4 thefriesguy

thefriesguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:10 AM

software such as? and, does the drive have to be formatted? and if so, to what type of partition?

what about the command prompt? i saw in help, that you're supposed to be able to extend it through there, and tried it, but it won't let me. but, what's confusing the hell out of me is, it's saying there's no partition when i go to disk management under adminitrative tools....

sorry, i tried to get that order to make as much sense as possible, but i just woke up...

Edited by thefriesguy, 26 December 2008 - 08:53 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

Partitioning software...or disk-imaging software.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=p...ioning+software

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cloning+a+partition

If Disk Manager reflects no partition, then my guess is that the drive may be failing or the file system is messed (and XP doesn't see it as readable).

Louis

#6 thefriesguy

thefriesguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

m'kay, here. maybe this will help a bit.

the upper circle is what every other program shows as my hard drive size.

the lower is the actual size of it, and notice how it's got no partition despite what the former says?

see why i'm getting confused here?

and i tried using the command prompt to extend the drive like before, but from the new drive's OS, and all the drives are assigned different letters. the command prompt in the pic is from the smaller drive, E: is the bigger drive here, but on the bigger drive itself, it's labeled as F:

like i said. major headache.

now the questions. if i clone my C: drive's partition to the E: drive, will it get all the problems that come with the programs? because i have to go through a 3 ring circus to get my C: drive to boot up anymore. plus, it uses almost 500 MB of ram just on the idle processes that the computer needs to run now.

and, will i have to reformat the drive as a primary or extended partition, or make it a logical drive to clone my C: partition to the new drive, or does it get left unformatted?

i'm ready to just give up at this point.

Attached Files

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

To me, it appears that something is wrong with that 320GB drive. I would not use it at all until I had run a manufacturer's diagnostic on it. If that cleared OK, then I would delete the existing partition on there and start anew at using it.

The fact that Disk Manager obviously has problems with it...would be enough for me.

As to your question re cloning...a clone is an identical copy of whatever is there, good/bad/indifferent.

Louis

#8 thefriesguy

thefriesguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:09 PM

and how would i go about running a manufacturer's diagnostic on it?

it was working fine when it was just a blank drive for storage, and it runs fine with XP by itself. but when i bring the two drives together, i get problems on acessing the install of XP that's on the 40 GB drive, I.E. i can only get to it through safe mode, because when i try normally, i get a blue screen error for a half second just after the XP loading bar, then it restarts the computer.

at this point, i just want the new drive to have XP and the stuff that i want to keep from the old drive, but still have the amount of space i SHOULD have. not really worried about anything else anymore.

so, if you can just give me a (hopefully) simple and easy walkthrough to get that done, i'll be happy.

you wouldn't happen to have AIM, yahoo, or MSN, would you? talking there would make this a whole lot quicker than having to keep checking these posts, seeing as how you seem to be the only one offering any help, louis.

~the fries guy

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:34 PM

I don't use messengers of any sort, don't really understand why others do.

The forum format exists for a reason...and some don't seem to understand that they are the beneficiaries of the format.

Sometimes visitors send me PMs regarding a post. I usually just ignore them...because a PM just defeats the purpose of the forum. A forum consists of several...not one. A PM is for one person, who may or may not be correct in her/his momentary statements, suggestions, attempts to help.

In the forum, I have confidence that if erroneous statements (of substance) are made...someone will correct it, based on her/his knowledge, experience, ability to read and reason. That goes away if any poster resorts to "private" communication that has to do with the resolution of an ongoing problem put forward in the forum.

Soooo...let's stick with this. If this is too slow for you, consider taking your system to a local computer shop and they will probably just erase your hard drive and do a clean install...and then charge you accordingly.

Rome wasn't built in a day (old cliche) and some computer situations are not solved pronto monto. There's a learning curve for the OPs (hopefully) and sometimes the right questions and/or answers don't appear in a timely manner.

Your basic problem, as I see it...is that you have conflicting desires. You want to keep items that seem to be destined to be deleted, if the problematical situation is to be properly dealt with.

I could be wrong...maybe your hard drive is not messed up, but Disk Management seems to agree with me. I would run a diagnostic on the drive because something is making it appear screwy to DM...you can choose to do so or not do so.

As for manufacturers diagnostics: Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

As for your remark about wanting to do this "quickly":

a. Rhetorical question, don't answer: How long has your system been messed up this way or from something else?

b. A good backup...probably could have avoided this whole scenario. When things went wrong, all you would have had to do was...clean install, restore backup, move forward. You would not have had to worry about last-minute attempts to back up (save, in your language) items which you considered worth that effort.

Louis

#10 thefriesguy

thefriesguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

*sighs* sorry to waste you guy's time. i would up getting a tool from western digital's site that let me clone my OS, and i've just decided that all the old problems were better than the new ones i was having. so, it's fixed now, but thanks for the help anyway, i learned a few things along the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users