Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

invalid software

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 C-info

C-info

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:31 AM

I recently purchased a Dell laptop computer for my granddaughter for Christmas. Refurbished. I had checked it out when I got it but I was personalizing things on it today before I wrapped it and it wanted to do an update so I let it and when it restarted I received a message in the lower right hand corner stating that I was a victim of counterfeit software. It reads that the product key is a Volume License Key (VLK) and is blocked.
Is there a way of fixing this or do I need to reinstall XP. I have a valid version that I purchased from ebay.
I know that with my laptop when I had to reinstall Vista I just had to get it started and it did the rest itself. I just don't remember what I did to start it.
Can I just uninstall from add/remove or what and then reinstall?

Thanks for all your help,
Merry Christmas!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:06 AM

What you can do is go to microsoft.com and in the search bar type: PRODUCT KEY UPDATE TOOL. This will let you change the product key to the one from the disk you purchased without having to reformat.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 C-info

C-info
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

My version of Xp is home and the one on this laptop is professional. Is this going to make a difference when I put in the product key #.

#4 midnight51

midnight51

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:59 AM

My guess is YES, it will unfortunately. Did you obtain a copy of the install CD when you purchased from Ebay? If so you might just have to reinstall the Operating System. :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

If you purchased a laptop with an XP volume license install on it...you have no legal right to use that install, since it was acquired as part of volume licensing agreement in the name of some company/person other than you.

If you have a valid XP license and CD to install from...that would be my suggestion, bearing in mind that no license can be used for two installs. In other words, if that install has already been made on another system...you need another license.

Louis

#6 C-info

C-info
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

Dear Louis,
I understand where your coming from and I am thinking the same thing unfortunately I purchased this computer from Craigs List (not Ebay my mistake)and do not have contact info any more.It did not come with a cd for reinstalling so I am not sure what to do at this time. I purchased the xp home basic cd from ebay but it is not XP pro which is what is installed on this laptop. I am trying to purchase a XP pro from ebay but wandered if I could uninstall the pro and install the home instead and if so how much trouble would be involved...
Any suggestions is appreciated

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

Yes, you can install the XP home. Because of the nature of your purchase I would wipe that hdd so that everything on it is overwritten. You can use freeware like dban to wipe the drive. A format will only remove the Master File Table leaving the rest.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 C-info

C-info
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:03 AM

So if I was going to replace it any way could I just put windows 98 on it instead. Can't find my xp's now.

#9 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:12 AM

Why would you put on Windows 98? That would be horrible! Just ask a friend that attends college to buy you a student version for 20 bucks.

Gavin Seabrook

#10 C-info

C-info
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

Ok so get this... I just decided to do a restore point and it worked. When it restarted- the invalid window was gone and the desktop picture I put on it was back. Now what I need to know is should I let the updates go thru seeing as to all this happened due to an update.
I have an Acer laptop and it wiped out a while back and when I called Acer they reformated it and told me to stop all updates that the service pak had messed it up. What do you think yes or no?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

Since some persons seem to have a propensity for getting infected...with all defense measures taken...my approach is that it's unwise to have a system anything less than "fully armed." If the system becomes infected then...we know that the user is the weak link.

At its simplest...that's all (not some, all) critical updates for XP, 1 firewall working properly, 1 reliable AV program with current updates and working 24/7, and 2 other malware/spyware/adware defense programs (e.g., Spybot S&D and SUPERAntiSpyware).

Others don't share my approach, as you can readily see by monitoring the number of posts which make specific reference to anything-but-current critical updates and lack of one or more of the other items mentioned.

Louis

#12 C-info

C-info
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

Ok I going to have to reinstall windows to get this problem stopped. I went to "dban" and downloaded it but it seems I do not have the program to open it. It gives me the option of a few programs on the web and I tired winzip (because I have it on my laptop) but it is not a zip file. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users