Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Installation and recovery/backup partition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:17 AM

One of my systems has a fixed disk which is becoming sick so I have purchased a new hard drive (seagate).

What I am trying to find out is if anyone knows how or knows where to find information about creating the recovery partition as found on most of the preinstalled desktops and laptops. The partition is kind of invisible and according to some data structures, it is identified as type "CPM". There are hex values assigned for each of the partition types in case anyone needs to look up a partition type such as a unix/linux swap partition.

I wasn't sure whether to post this under hardware or XP software so I chose this.

Any information or assistance is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

The principles involved in cloning a partition...should still apply. A clone is an identical copy.

I can clone partitions with either Powerquest Partition Magic 8.0 or Drive Image 2002...there are other programs which offer this capability.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

The easiest way to do this is to use manufacturer supplied recovery disks to recreate everything on the hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:41 AM

John & Louis
Thanks for the feedback. Cloning a partition and using the backkup disks are no problem. BUT I don't believe that you read my query as put forth so I will try again perhaps my feeble brain will get the correct info from the head to the fingers to the keyboard. The question I posed was more of an academic and for my edification.

Background: Most OEM computers today come home with the user(buyer) and contain a hidden partition which contains the Operating System files.These partitions also usually contain a lot of junk, i.e. lite programs or programs to try for 10 or 30 days. Many times there are a bunch of useless games.
believe that
There are some rules posed about these partitions and I don't know if these are Microsoft imposed or just by convention. One of the rules is the maximum size For XP this is about 12% of free space. For Vista it is the smaller of 15% of the total drive space or 30% of total free space.

Above is the type of information that I am seeking along with information on how to create this hidden partition and which system files to put in it along with any information on how to put these files in the partition. E.G. Do they have to be installed and if not how do they become executable with the correct registry entry following recovery. Perhaps it is as simple as making an image of the installation of the recovery disks that you mentioned. I know that there are at least two tools available which I probably will look into; one being Vssadmin.exe for changing the size of reserved drive space and also perhaps Windows Power Shell which has hundreds of command-lets. Someone at dinner today mentioned that perhaps a Microsoft tool called VS.85 may be useful

I realize this is a big chuck of the apple that I bit into but I have been working on and with computers since before 5 and 7 level paper tape loaders and can remember flipping toggle switches on the box with 16Kb of Ram and three registers. In fact I still have either an old Atari or TRS-80 tape among the collectables and there is an 8-inch floppy disk pinned to the wall next to my desk above a 2-foot by three-foot glass framed copy of "MURPHY'S LAWS ON TECHNOLOGY"

REMEMBER THAT THERE ARE ONLY 10 KINDS OF PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD; THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND BINARY AND THOSE WHO DO NOT!!!

The drive that I mentioned that prompted this line of inquiry gave up the ghost and died. I did manage to save the data that I needed so all is not lost and the drive will have a new happy home at HP's recycle center instead of the landfill.

Thank you kindly for the replies and the info provided. If you know of any url's which may offer some additional insight please advise.
Have a great New Year in 2009! regards _ed_

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:14 AM

The biggest problem that we deal with here every day is communication - once we're communicating effectively we can accomplish nearly anything.

As to the OS partition - in most cases it isn't hidden (and I'd suspect that having it hidden would create numerous problems when attempting to run Windows).

So, here's a description of a couple of partitioning schemes:
- An OS partition and a hidden restore/recovery partition
- An OS partition and a Data partition (not hidden)
- A boot partition (very small) which may be hidden, an OS partition, and a hidden restore/recovery partition
- A boot partition (very small) which may be hidden, an OS partition, and a Data partition

I don't know where you got your figures, but in general Windows needs 15% free space (on a drive that it's working on) in order too allow behind the scenes operations to proceed smoothly. Below 15% free space the system may slow down. If the drive is completely full, you may not even be able to delete files from it (necessitating a deletion of the partition and subsequent loss of all the data on that drive). This is NOT reserved space - it's just space that isn't being used for file storage.

As for the junk on the partition, it's usually in the OS partition and can be removed through the use of the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel. If you have a recovery partition, it's likely that the "junk" programs are written into it - but removing them from there is more difficult (and may cause the recovery process to terminate abnormally).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users