Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox cannot start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vlrvlr

vlrvlr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

When starting Firefox by clicking on the icon, the program will not start. there are no error messages. Just an hourglass and then back to the arrow. When I check under Task Manager, there is an entry for Firefox.exe under processes. One entry will be added for each click.

Sometimes after many clicks [10-20], Firefox will start and run normally.

I have no other issues and Google Chrome runs fine.

Thanks for helping,

Edgard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

If you are on Windows, a microsoft or IE update may reset your defaults. Go to the start menu, left click, select "set program access and defaults" by left-clicking; this will bring up the add or remove programs window. For some reason, I have 2 of these icons in my start menu, and one doesn't work at all. I think a duplicate icon or plug-in is being used for each browser. Select "custom", the last optiion, and then click on the double downward arrows. The first choice given under the various headings is to choose a web browser. Unclick "use my current web browser" and go down to the bottom to click on Mozilla. I have found that various legitimate websites also reset your browser because they use IE or something else. It's a real pain.

There was a similar query posted a week or so ago, and someone more expert than me made suggestions; you might check that out.

Good luck, and happy winter occasions! :thumbsup:

UPDATE: The topic was Outlook Express, and how to disable/remove it. Same techniques are used. Here is the link to the BC thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/184807/how-to-disable-microsoft-outlook-in-service-pack-3/

Edited by fuzzywuzzy6, 25 December 2008 - 07:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users