Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer to New Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 newberry33

newberry33

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:35 PM

Hello:

I want to transfer some words docs, excel docs, and folders from an older computer to a new computer. I would also like to transfer contact information and emails from my outlook.

Can anybody recommend some links i could read to bring myself up to speed on this issues.

Also, my old computer has had viruses on it. I would like to make sure i don't transfer any viruses to my new computer.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:09 AM

Well, what you can do is in google, type these two search tips:

"Backup Outlook Data" and "Transfer Across Network".

The easiest solutions to both of these is to open your outlook express/Microsoft outlook and click file, then use the import/export. You will want to EXPORT your PST file (personal Settings). Then import it onto the new pc. As for transfering files, usually the easiest thing to do is put those documents onto a cd or flash drive, then just paste them on the new pc.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:22 AM

As long as you can connect (direct connection to motherboard, USB connection, home network, etc.) the drives, moving data files is simply a matter of cut-and-paste or something similar. Note that I said data files, that means that installed programs cannot be moved in this manner.

As for your malware issues...best advice I can give you is to not try to move anything other than known data files.

Backup Options - http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/backup.htm

Implementing a backup strategy - http://www.pcug.org.au/boesen/Backups/backups.htm

Louis

#4 newberry33

newberry33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:53 PM

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users