Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Move Dell components into other case?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:29 PM

I am starting to get concerned about my new Dell Dimension 8400 getting hot, doesn't seem to be much in the way of airflow. The whole Intel processor is all new to me...usually an AMD chick, but I got a good deal. Anyway...would it void my warrantee if I put mobo, dvd, & HDD etc. into a different case with more fans to improve airflow? Has anyone else done this? Just curious.

Intel Pentium IV 3.6GHz
160Gb SATA HDD
ATI Radeon X850 XT PE PCIe (256 memory)

Edited by CoDLunaCh!ck, 16 May 2005 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:45 PM

I don't know if it would void Dell's warranty or not (although I think it well might!), but if you were going to do all that anyway why didn't you assemble your own machine in the first place?

#3 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:49 PM

Um...good point and well taken! I have built a couple, but I got a great deal...paid $900.00 on a PC woth almost $3,00.00. I suppose I could put a 120mm fan in the side.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:20 AM

It would be a lot easier to add some fans rather than moving everything but I'm sure your aware of that. And it would definitely void your warranty.

Have you seen the fans that fit into a PCI slot and draw power from the PSU? Do you have any temperature monitoring software? What are the temps like as it is now?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:29 AM

I have a fan that plugs into a PCI slot, but I had it in my old e-machines and it made the audio crack (heard the fan rythym in the music!) I suppose I could try it in my Dell though and see what happens. I have Motherboard Monitor installed, but it's NOT giving me any temps. Anyone know of any other freeware I can try to check my temps without having to go into the BIOS?

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:33 AM

I've seen a couple of members mention SpeedFan lately but I haven't tried it myself.

Edit: Fixed the link

Edited by Leurgy, 17 May 2005 - 06:35 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:51 AM

Home Edition gives you values like the small sample following, although you have to intentionally look at its open page to see it. It isn't in the form of an "alert" that will come up over another program. I Also notice it isn't picking up the two additional fans I installed (have 4)

Field Value
Tsystem 45 C (113 F)
Field Value
Tcpu 61 C (142 F)
Field Value
Taux 38 C (100 F)

Field Value
Temperatures
Field Value
Motherboard 50 C (122 F)
Field Value
Sensor Properties