Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cleaner Fonts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:03 PM

I just found out the XP has a built in function to make fonts look clearer by filling in the gaps between pixels of text characters. It will make Web pages and documents look better.

ClearType is turned off by default because it will not work on older computers, but works fine on newer computers.

You turn ClearType on Control Panel>Display> click on Appearance tab> Effects button> option "use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts"> select "ClearType"> OK
If I've saved you time & money,
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:12 PM

I believe this is mostly for laptops and perhaps other LCD displays. On my desktop with standard CRT, it makes the characters fuzzy.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:37 PM

Yes, I forgot to say that this mainly benefits Laptops with LCD screens. :thumbsup: But you really need to try it on your CRT screen to find out if it benifits you. Accorging to MS you may see some improvement with a CRT screen.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294851&sd=RMVP

Because a standard cathode-ray tube (CRT) screen uses an electron beam to excite pixels, and does not have specific pixels at a specific location, you do not experience the same benefits that you experience on an LCD screen when you use a CRT screen. However, because ClearType still includes antialiasing support, you may see some improvement when you enable ClearType on a CRT screen.

Edited by SifuMike, 17 May 2005 - 03:38 PM.

If I've saved you time & money,
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:00 PM

Yea I just now turned that on my laptop.

Its usually off on mine b/c of this:

1. Click on Start
2. Right Click My Computer
3. Click Properties
4. Click Advanced tab.
5. Click settings under the performance section
6. I click Adjust for Best Performance.

Edited by yanowhiz, 17 May 2005 - 04:09 PM.

#5 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:46 PM

sweet...makes it so much better and clearer...thanks for this info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users