Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ACTIVE X - A pain

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:03 PM

I can't view internet sites because i get this pop up saying right click on the yellow bar and click install Active X controls and there is no yellow bar under the address bar to do so. i have tried to resolve this myself but found no solution. So i am now asking for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:52 PM

ActiveX has full access to Windows. If a rogue ActiveX program got into your computer, it could do all kinds of damage. That's why Internet Explorer has security settings for ActiveX.

Click Tools>Internet Options. Select the Security tab. There are five settings under "ActiveX controls and plug-ins."

1. Download signed ActiveX controls--Prompt. Signed ActiveX controls are considered safer, because they come from a known organization. But I suggest you be asked.

2. Download unsigned ActiveX controls--Disable.

3. Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe--Disable.

4. Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins--Enable. Once you approved them, you wont be asked about them repeatedly.

5. Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting--Enable.

You'll occasionally get a message asking if you want to download a program. It's probably an ActiveX control. If you know what it is and need it, say yes. If it's from a major company that you trust, check the box to always allow downloads. Otherwise, the answer should be no. You'd just be asking for trouble.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 spywaredr

spywaredr

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:41 PM

don't forget to shut down net messenger in services as well
pop ups?
either:
firefox web browser
google toolbar
yahoo toolbar
http://antispyware.friendpages.com

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:36 PM

Nah! still can't get the yellow bar under the address bar where you right click and download active X thingy so i can view the sight. It is rediculous. Can i delete or remove Active X all together so i don't have or do i must have it?

Noone else i know is having any trouble with it.

Can i have step by step Instructions from the first point of moving the mouse all the way through. I'm Using XP SP2. I need to get it sorted out as it's driving me mad.

#5 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:11 PM

hold down ctrl key before you click download. That should do it for you.If you disable active x control better get your hijack software in working order.

Edited by gunner, 20 May 2005 - 06:14 PM.

Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users