Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel 2000 quirkiness

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Pat

Kevin Pat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

I hope someone here can help sort out this issue. The business manager of my company keeps financial records in his "His Name.server/My Documents" folder by year. So, for instance, he might have "2006 Financial Records," "2007 Financial Records," and "2008 Financial Records" within that "My Documents." All very well organized and whatnot.

Each year he creates a standard accounts receivable spreadsheet which starts off with the previous year's balances. So, in the 2007 A/R sheet, the first column has values for projects at the end of December 2006. Instead of copying the values of the December 2006 cells over to the 2007 A/R sheet, he links the 2007 cell to the appropriate 2006 cell.

So far, so good.

What's weird is when you look at the file path for the linked 2007 cell. It should read something like "His Name.server/My Documents/2006 Financial Records/2006 Accounts Receivable.xls[SHEET AND CELL]." Instead, the file path reads "His Name.server/My Documents/2006 Financial Records/2007 Financial Records/2006 Accounts Receivable.xls[SHEET AND CELL]." It's saying there's a file folder in the 2006 Financial Records folder that is named 2007 Financial Records.

There isn't.

And what's weirder still is that the linked 2007 cell displays the correct value from the 2006 cell. This is a seemingly harmless quirk of Excel, but I wondered if anyone had any insight into this and whether or not there's something more seriously wrong with the file system.

Thank you so much for your help!

-- Kevin Pat

Edited by Kevin Pat, 24 December 2008 - 12:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users