Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly reboots over and over

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BriZz

BriZz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:36 AM

Hi everyone, happy holidays and thanks for your help in advance!

My computer, with no rhyme or reason, will suddenly shut down, and restart. When it first started doing this a month or so ago, it would just shut down once and restart about once a day and then it would be fine.

Now, it will shut down and restart, and it will get to the point where it shows my desktop background, but no icons or task bar, and then it will reboot again. It will do this several times, before finally rebooting successfully.

I have tried searching for answers on google... but there are so many different answers and none of them seem to match my problem.

I have checked for viruses and malware (with several different programs) and nothing comes up.

I have also tried cleaning out the inside of the computer.

I have also been watching my CPU temp - the computer is set to auto shut down @ 70C, however this morning it was rebooting with the CPU @ 40C, so I don't think its overheating?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:49 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Suggestions for initial troubleshooting follow.

Step 1: Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

Step 2: Check EV for any error messages which apppear to be related (happening at approximately the same time) as your reboots/BSODs. Post the content of such here.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

System manufacturer and model or motherboard manufacturer & model (if custom-built)?

Do you have a MS XP install CD?

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

The reason to stop the automatic restarts is so that when the error occurs the error code will appear. When this happens please post what that error is.

This does sound like a hardware problem, hdd, PSU, or RAM, and you can trouble shoot all of these, but the error code will give us something specific to look for.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users