Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes after starting up/keep getting BSOD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 unseen wombat

unseen wombat

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hi, IDK what's wrong with my computer. I'm running XP home service pack 2. The problem is, just about every time I turn the computer on, it shows the start-up windows screen with the blue scrolling bar on the bottom, then the screen just goes black and doesn't bring up the "select user id" screen. The "disk access" light then just kinda flickers about once every 2 seconds.

This usually happens about 2 to 4 times before the computer actually starts up for real, brings up the select user screen, and lets me log in. Then once I'm in, I have to pray that the computer keeps running, because occasionally, even when I'm not doing anything, the blue screen of death will come up. It doesn't just come up though, it starts flashing at me! From what I can see of it, trying to catch glimpses of the text as it flashes on the screen, it says some program has gotten stuck in an infinite loop. IDK what program it is.

Can anyone help me? I don't know if there's some kind of HJT-like log you might need me to post, so let me know.

I'm thinking of just formatting and reinstalling windows over the long weekend, because the computer has gotten to be more irritating than it's worth.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

That will (hopefully) allow an error message to be generated, which can then be viewed in Event Viewer.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Do you have a Microsoft XP install CD?

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

Hi unseen wombat, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

If this has just started within the last two or three weeks try doing a System Restore. If for some reason you can't do this let us know and we'll go to the next step.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 unseen wombat

unseen wombat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for the quick responses. I'm home now and the computer just did it again. I saw another part of the BSOD and it says the driver that caused the problem is "NV4_DISP"

Does that mean anything to you? Should I still try system restore?

Thanks

Edited by unseen wombat, 24 December 2008 - 03:29 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

Yes, assuming that you have System Restore running in XP...try that first.

System Restore Info - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...%5BLN%5D;267951

System manufacturer and model?

Please...we need the entire contents of the error message, not bits and pieces.

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:09 AM

The NV4_DISP is a display driver. This seems to be a fairly common problem, unfortunately it looks like there are a couple of causes of this. The easiest to try is to delete the driver and download the new drivers from Nividia. If the System Restore doesn't solve this try replacing the driver.

This article has instruction on how to do this.

If you look in the device manage is there an error under Sound, video and game controllers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 unseen wombat

unseen wombat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hey guys. I did the system restore, and it looked like my computer was working okay for a few days. Then it started to do the same thing again. Freezing periodically, for seemingly no reason at all, (especially after sleep mode), and periodically giving me a flashing BSOD. I tried updating the drivers (I think). I downloaded the NVIDIA driver file and replaced NV4_DISP.dll and NV4_DISP.inf everywhere they showed up in C:\windows.

IDK if this will work.

I don't have any errors on the devices manager for anything

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 8600.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

I downloaded the NVIDIA driver file and replaced NV4_DISP.dll and NV4_DISP.inf everywhere they showed up in C:\windows.

That's not really the correct way to update a driver. Try these instructions:

How to update a Windows hardware driver
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users