Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

would like advice on upgrading

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 InTROUBLEwithXP

InTROUBLEwithXP

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:07 AM

hi!
i currently have windows XP on my computer and am thinking on moving to windows vista.
its asking me to uninstall a lot of things that i cant do without for example the DVD-RAM driver.
im wondering where would i get my dvd ram driver program back from.
etc.
please can anyone give me any advice on what to do?
i have a toshiba windows xp media center edition

thankyou
:huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

You need to determine if your computer has the resources to even use Vista and which Vista you want to install.

Check your computer manufacturer's website for drivers for your paticular computer.

The link below lists minimum requirements for using Vista.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...quirements.aspx

This small software tool will scan your computer and create an easy-to-understand report of all known system, device, and program compatibility issues, and recommend ways to resolve them. Upgrade Advisor can also help you to choose the edition of Windows Vista that best fits the way you want to use your computer.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...de-advisor.aspx

Just my opinion, unless you have a compelling reason to switch to Vista, I would keep XP.

Edited by buddy215, 24 December 2008 - 09:28 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 InTROUBLEwithXP

InTROUBLEwithXP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

if i was to get vista and then wanted to change. would that be possible? ive already checked the requirments and stuff. i am compatible for vista :D

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:51 AM

The DVD/CD driver is generic and Windows will load the correct driver
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 InTROUBLEwithXP

InTROUBLEwithXP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:02 PM

ah. ok. thankyou so much :D
much appriciated :huh:

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:29 PM

Meeting the minimum requirements is necessary to install Vista, meeting the recommended ones is best for smooth operation. Many of the drivers are generic so they will install normally. If your computer is new, from 2006 to now, installing Vista could be a good choice. If your PC is older, you may have issues and should consider keeping XP. You can get it to install on an older machine, I was able to put it on one from 2001, but you may not have a good experience running it. As with all operating system upgrades, it is best to do a clean install if possible.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users