Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help w/ Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cammianne

cammianne

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:54 AM

First, I'll let you know this isn't my laptop. This guy I know bought three of these for his kids (they're probably not the kind of kids that should even have these, at least two of them, LOL). Anyway, I had two of the three trying to clean them up, remove viruses, etc. This is the only one of the three that had built-in wireless, which is where I'm having my final problem.

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, drivers, adapters, anything I can find, I still can't get it to work. Either I get the radio button is off, the adapter isn't installed, can't find a connection, etc. I currently have a card in the slot so I'm using that to connect right now. I'm about to give up on this and just tell him to buy another wireless card for this one so I can be done with it, but I thought I'd try here first to see if anyone can help me figure out what to do.

Also, when this computer boots up, it makes me select an operating system. Both of the selections are Windows XP Professional, but the second one doesn't boot up if I select it, so I'd like to get rid of it if possible (so I'd need help with that too).

This laptop is a Compaq nc 6000, if that helps anyone.

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:26 AM

You removed all network drivers...and then reinstalled the wireless NIC?

Various ways to get rid of the dupe apparent install...try this one: Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

You can try this to remove any possible interfering drivers: How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

There's always the possibility that the onboard function is dead. Since you established connectivity by going around the onboard, it's not an XP problem...which leaves drivers and hardware as suspects, IMO.

What's reflected in Device Manager when you previous reinstalled?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users