Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD and DVD drivers disabled

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 monkeydog

monkeydog

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:00 AM

Hello, I am running windows xp home with service pack 2 on my gateway desktop. Have had no problems until today I go to the start menu and click on "my computer". My cd drive and my dvd drive do not show up. when I insert a cd, the drive lights up and runs but nothing comes on screen. I went into device manager and next to the listing for the ttwo drives I find a yellow exclamation mark.

I click on both of the drives and they say that the drivers have been disabled. I am given the option to troubleshoot, but all that comes up when I click the troubleshoot button is a help screen with no information, just a place to enter something to search for. I went back to properties on the drives and tried updating the drivers, but it comes back saying I have the current updates.

I tried system restore and set the computer back to 4 days ago when everything was fine, and no luck, drivers still disabled. Any one have any ideas what I can do to enable the drivers on my cd and dvd drives? Thanks a bunch for any thoughts on this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

If you right click on the cd/dvd drives in device manager, is there an option to enable?

What is the make and model of your computer or motherboard?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

Try uninstalling the drive in the Device Manager and then reboot, the Installation Wizard will recognize the drive as new hardware and will assign the native drivers appropriate for it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

You need to delete the upper and lower filters:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 monkeydog

monkeydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:56 PM

Thank you all for the help! I deleted the upper and lower filters per the instructions on the link garmanma provided. Everything worked perfectly. After I rebooted, the drives both showed up again, and they seem to be working like new!

Out of curiosity, what would have caused the problem? Is there anything I can do to keep it from occuring again? Thanks again for all the help!

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:53 PM

If I remember correctly old Sonic or Nero software can do this.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users